Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #1 
GreyHounD

Food for thought?

I'm an experienced breeder, I've been like 10-20 times.

Still I get to wonder what food I could give to my fries, can I ask for your opinion guys?

Here's my problem at the same time.

Brine shrimp= Cost too much
Daphnia= Ain't available
Mosquito Larvae= dangerous due to dengue outbreaks
Boiled egg= I've tried that, works sorta good \
( Slow Growth Rate, won't get bigger even though parents are like 1.5 inches )
Tubifex= Possible
Pellets/imported ones= not available

any alternatives? or possible better food than boiled egg and tubifex?
my betta's dont eat pellet which is a problem to me too..
GreyHounD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:24 AM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Microworms? Read this page that I made. My favorite food.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=146745
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #3 
Myates

Micro worms, banana worms, walter worms, vinegar eels, BBS to start with - BBS is expensive initially, but the larger cans will last for many many spawns and are good for over a year if kept in the fridge/freezer.. so you basically spend (for the larger, better grade) $60-80 a year.. not bad at all. I stay away from egg yolk as it fouls up the water real quickly and a water change after each meal is needed when fed that.

The secondary foods could be crushed pellets, flakes, freeze dried.. golden pearls, frozen foods, other live foods that you can cut up like brine shrimp or grindal worms, Repashy, etc..

Then move on to larger pellets such as NLS grow, larger GPs, live foods, frozen...

How did you make your... 10-20 spawns previously survive? Breeding that many times you should know the basics of what to feed them and have been feeding them.....
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

In general;
if Tubifex is available (nature, not vendor) so are daphnia. Problem is, often their numbers are too small to harvest. In which case you will need to learn to culture them. There are lots of info on culturing daphnia. (culturing foods is not my expertise - have always failed using all methods I could find).

If you can find micro/banana worms or what ever foods, they are said to be easy to culture. So you would only need to buy them once.

Once they get to 5mm, they usually can nibble on tubifex which could be fed until they're adults. I usually use tubifex until they are 2 months - or big enough to eat blood worms.

You could also culture bloodworms which are insect larvae. Just leave a bucket of water with lots of fish wastes outside. . . You will also get mosquitoes. IMO/IME it's ok because there won't be that many of them and you could feed them all to your bettas in one feeding. But to be safe make the water dirty/murky . . . dengue mosq usually nests in clear water.

My bettas would rather starve to death rather than taking pellets. Recently they fasted for over 2 weeks, refusing pellets. So if you can get them to eat pellets, stop feeding them live/frozen foods unless you want to breed them. Some people "train" their bettas to eat pellets by keeping some small guppies in the fry tank.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #5 
Myates

Good advice from indjo :)

I would definitely recommend switching them to pellets if they are wanting them.. it makes life a whole lot easier for both the fish and the new owners lol The only "pellets" I could get mine started on was Golden Pearls.. they took to those really good.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #6 
Basement Bettas

Ya'll know I always have fry needing fed bbs at all times. I have been breeding 4 yers and ave gone through only 2 cans of bbs eggs. I bought a smaller container this time. I only feed once a day..used various micro worms for the morning feeding. I get them up to 3-4 weeks then get them on grindles. From there to some pellets, white worms and then the basic pellet with some freeze dried tubifex on the side. Suddenly, the blood worms make me itch like a dog with fleas.. so they are out.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #7 
Basement Bettas

And I buy bulk.. large cans of tubbifex, and pellets. They last.. I will eventually fo through it. Bought 5#'s NLS and STILL feeding the stuff. Even 1# lasts me and all my fish a LONG time
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, you have to watch it with bloodworms if you're allergic to them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #9 
Artemis

Have you tried decap brine eggs to wean to pellets? They are also supposed to be more nutritious, hatch faster, have a higher hatch rate too. http://www.ventralfins.com/misc_articles_decap_bs.html
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #10 
Jayloo

I attempt to feed anything. At free-swimming I fed Walter worms, banana worms and vinegar eels. Then after day five I mixed in micro worms. Then after about a week I started feeding BBS every 3rd day.. They are now three weeks old and I keep them on a combination of what I already mentioned plus I started mosquito larvae (thank goodness it's getting warm out) next payday I'm buying grindal worms and will harvest them as soon as they are properly cultured. In my opinion, the worms are by far the easiest and cheapest. But I faithfully believe in variety... Nutritionally, I believe banana, Walter, and micro worms are the same... Just size differences.
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote