Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 09:13 PM   #61 
Roemgie

Yeah that's what I thought at first but then when I couldn't find him after a while...I assumed either he made it out of his exskeleton but was eaten before his new one came in :( or that was the 'left overs'. Socrates is a big pig...once he ate the cories' entire woffer (or what ever they're called) and his belly was white! Heres a picture :P

Oh really? I was told that you should never transport a tank with water/gravel/ etc in it because the bottom may fall out. But if you think transporting both my 10 and 5 gallon like that should be ok then I will defiantly try that one instead! (although I know the 10 gallon with water is heavy and when I go home for 3 weeks at the end of summer school I don't know if I can carry the 20 gallon with 25% water unless someone helps me lol).

I was told to baggie all the gravel in its own water, the filter, the plants, and all the other things because of the fact that the bottom could drop out. So I was going to baggy up more of the water just in case to make sure and so that the girls don't have to get use to almost completely new water.

And I actually got petco to give me some cups so I now have 5 cups for my current five girls :) I need to get 5 more (I told the owner of the yellow girl that I could no longer take her because to be honest I was looking at her again and I like her colors but I wasn't in love with her you know? And I feel bad but someone else bidded so I've been trying to get a hold of them to let them know I don't want her anymore).

Why thank you! I ended up calling my new blue girl Paddie and my little green girl Tiblu (because her fin Tips are turning Blue :P) so that's how creative I've been so far!

Last edited by Roemgie; 04-28-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:20 AM   #62 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh goodness, I've never heard of the bottom falling out before! News to me! Hmmm, very interesting indeed. Well if that is the case then I guess a million baggies is the way to go! I mean, it does have to be exactly 25% but enough to go slightly over the gravel and enough that the plants can still be wet as well. So if you've got about 2 inches of gravel then you could keep 2 1/2 or 3 inches of water in as I see it. But again, I've never actually transported a tank, I've just speculated :)

I'm rather surprised that Petco gave you the cups! Mine couldn't even give me a lid! Cheap people lol

Cute names though! I don't know if Tiblu is from something but it sounds so adorable! And yeah I get what you mean about not being in love with her as well, I hope you are able to contact that other person!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #63 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Oh goodness, I've never heard of the bottom falling out before! News to me! Hmmm, very interesting indeed. Well if that is the case then I guess a million baggies is the way to go! I mean, it does have to be exactly 25% but enough to go slightly over the gravel and enough that the plants can still be wet as well. So if you've got about 2 inches of gravel then you could keep 2 1/2 or 3 inches of water in as I see it. But again, I've never actually transported a tank, I've just speculated :)

I'm rather surprised that Petco gave you the cups! Mine couldn't even give me a lid! Cheap people lol

Cute names though! I don't know if Tiblu is from something but it sounds so adorable! And yeah I get what you mean about not being in love with her as well, I hope you are able to contact that other person!
Yeah I never thought of it until that person brought the idea up 0_0 and yeah I've heard that you need to keep your gravel wet so I guess I could baggie the plants and just leave enough water for the gravel and then baggy my filter.

So that way at least I keep my gravel wet and transport everything in its own water :P and I'm only moving dorms so I'm hoping that short move won't be a problem...its just the end of the summer I'm going to need to make a 4 hour drive home...with my 20 gallon.

Yeah :) I offered to pay for them but the lady just got me the two I needed and of course now I need five...so I'm pretty sure I shall be paying for them lol

And Tiblu is because her fin Tips are Blue so I just put tip and blue together :P Yeah she was pretty but I saw her again and I really was like :/ just not feeling it and the seller was so nice!! But no one out bidded me :( but they at least understood where i was coming from!
Old 04-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #64 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Aww thats really sweet of you to pay for them! I mean, I'm sure it's a pain and all but that's super nice! Man, I wish something like that would happen to me! haha

And, I get Tiblu now, that's really freaking adorable still though ^^

So yeah I guess all those baggies would be best then if that's going to happen! Good luck with it all! I know moving from desk to bureau is hard enough never mind dorm room to dorm room!
Old 04-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #65 
Roemgie

Quote:
Aww thats really sweet of you to pay for them! I mean, I'm sure it's a pain and all but that's super nice! Man, I wish something like that would happen to me! haha

So yeah I guess all those baggies would be best then if that's going to happen! Good luck with it all! I know moving from desk to bureau is hard enough never mind dorm room to dorm room!
Well they gave to me for free any way :) but I know when I go for 5 cups...I'll be needing to offer them some money lol (that sentence is supposed to sound grammarly incorrect)

Thank you :D trying to open the creativity door :D

Well who knows :/ so have you actually moved a tank even just a little bit or where you saying you've never moved a tank after you've cycled it ever?

Also look at what I found -___-

More big eared girls! And TMTbettas is of course now selling a beautiful red marble girl that I'm debating if a number 11 is really a good idea...

I like her big ears :) http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...hmp&1367532146

I love her dark red color! http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...hmp&1367359680

I don't really like her color but at the same time she's nice http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1367359294

And I like her because of the raggedy look lol http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1367532419

Now this is the girl I'm debating on buying, I may have to do it very soon since the last girl was bought before I could blink!
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...hmp&1367593759
Old 05-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #66 
Roemgie

Quote:

Oh you'll laugh at this one :P

So I fell in love with these BEAUTIFUL white big ear girls and I found it they were from the same seller as the yellow girl :( so if they weren't 40 plus dollars I wouldn't have been able to bid on them because I would seem like a jerk -____- but that's ok because I'm about to bid on this girl http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...hmp&1367593759

So now I'm at 11! And now investigating plants for my 20 gallon AND I've been thinking maybe...ghost shrimp?? I thought about Cherry but someone who had ghost and cherry in their sorority said that they found one of their girls chewing on a cherry tail but her Ghost Shrimp seem to be ok. I just don't know if that's cruel or not for the shrimp not only for putting them with 11 girls or for traveling two 4 hour drives (going home and coming back to college).

SO anywho I'm just excited about having an amazing tank but at the same time I'm worried that maybe I'm dreaming a little too much since I'm in college and will be going back and forth.

Also (I believe I asked you a while back) but I won't be able to leave to go home until May 11 after 6 pm (RA rule -___-) and I'll have to come back here fairly early May 17. I was going to leave my 5 girls here since I'll be getting the new 6 BUT can I safely leave my girls without them being fed or should I have someone at least come once in the middle of that week to give them some food? (I'm just curious because I don't know if anyone will be willing or will be around to feed them).
Old 05-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #67 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ahaha, sorry for late posting, wasn't feeling great yesterday.

Oh goodness you, there's no stopping now is there! Haha yes, that girl is beautiful!

Shrimp depends on the girls or Betta in general. If you can get the biggest Cherry shrimp they have, I'm sure they will be fine, they are also faster which is good. If you get some good tiny hiding spots it will also help the girls from eating them. I'm a bit wary myself when it comes to housing both Cherry and Ghost together though.

Ghost shrimp have claws unlike most other shrimp and can be a bit territorial, however I've seen people who house both and have never had problems. I think if you get the biggest ones you'll be fine. I don't know if you know, but Ghost shrimp are the scavengers and eat leftover food (fresh food, they don't eat rotting stuff though) and occassionally nibble on algae. Cherry shrimp are your algae eaters, both Cherry and Amanos act like an assembly line where the Amano's break down the bigger stuff and then the Cherries eat the small stuff so I know those are both very successful shrimp and many people use them.

Also Cherry shrimp will breed as well too, so I'm sure you could start off with like 5 and end up with 10 more at the end of summer lol, actually I really don't know how much or how often they breed, I was just speculating XD

And the girls should be fine for the week, as I had said before I had a fish who didn't eat for a month when I got him, I would offer food but he would never eat it. If you can and do find someone, just once during the week would be fine. I wouldn't worry too much, especially if you've got live plants in there because they'll pick at the bugs on the plants and whatever they find in the substrate :)

It would also be less stressful for them to stay in the tank instead of going back and forth, you know? But that's just my opinion :)

Also no I've never moved a tank larger than 3 gallons. I was moving my room around and had to take my 3 gallon off the dresser to move it so I unplugged (mind you it's acrylic) and picked up, fish and all and just set it gently on the floor until I could move it back up there again. I've moved my 10 gallon but it was empty at the time so that doesn't count.

Hmm, I think I got everything lol
Old 05-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #68 
Roemgie

I am sorry for my extremely late post! I'm almost done with final exams and my procrastinating has been getting the best of me! I also would like to add that you are a saint for replying to all my threads!!

Yeah I have to say finally I have stopped because I don't really have anymore room lol

Yeah that's what I thought but I figured with 11 girls...I may have that one who leads the pack into attack -___- And I guess the only thing stopping me from shrimp is the fact that I will need a lot of those little hiding spots and that also means I'll need more transporting cups for when we go back and forth and I feel like for shrimp that may be cruel. But at the same time I would love to have some little guys with my girls

And that's good to know which shrimp does what because honestly I thought they all where on the scavengers list. But if Cherry and Amanos go great together than I might actually do a combination of them over ghost shrimp. I guess I'd have to see how my 20 gallon is when set up before I decide to just get some shrimp lol.

At least it wouldn't be a 100 lol

I have found someone who I told only needed to come once to make sure they were ok and feed them enough to last them until I get there friday so I'm feeling a lot better :)

Well I wouldn't take them anyway since I've got the new six that I'm picking up next saturday! (I'm so excited!!)

Yeah same here, I've picked up and moved a 5 gallon before but I wouldn't do that one again lol

And thank you again for your comments!!
Old 05-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #69 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Haha no problem! I pretty much view this site as my religion anyway XD

Yeah that is the bad thing about shrimp, but it depends on your girls! If you find that your girls are super mellow then it might work out. Cherries also tend to be faster but they are smaller which makes them bite sized snacks for your bettas, but generally they can get out of the way fast enough. If you've got java moss that would be adequit hiding space for them.

I mean, all shrimp will scavenge but ghost shrimp won't eat as much algae as cherries and amano's do.

Oh god, if you were transporting a 100 gallon tank I would just be like....I don't even know lol if it happened successfully I might have to make YOU the saint! haha

And that's great that you found someone! yay! So excited to see them all! I'm sure you're much more excited than I am but I can't help being excited for you! haha And no problem bout replying, I'm pretty much on here 24/7 and when I'm not I'm sleeping and dreaming about fish haha.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #70 
Roemgie

Quote:
Haha no problem! I pretty much view this site as my religion anyway XD

Yeah that is the bad thing about shrimp, but it depends on your girls! If you find that your girls are super mellow then it might work out. Cherries also tend to be faster but they are smaller which makes them bite sized snacks for your bettas, but generally they can get out of the way fast enough. If you've got java moss that would be adequit hiding space for them.

I mean, all shrimp will scavenge but ghost shrimp won't eat as much algae as cherries and amano's do.

Oh god, if you were transporting a 100 gallon tank I would just be like....I don't even know lol if it happened successfully I might have to make YOU the saint! haha

And that's great that you found someone! yay! So excited to see them all! I'm sure you're much more excited than I am but I can't help being excited for you! haha And no problem bout replying, I'm pretty much on here 24/7 and when I'm not I'm sleeping and dreaming about fish haha.
Yeah I just made a betta instragram account so I've been on that a lot lately :)

Yeah I feel like I should see how my twenty gallon looks set up before I decide that shrimp are a good combination lol

I would practically walk on water then lol

OMG I AM BEYOND READY TO MEET THE GIRLS! Oh I know how stupid it is so I don't need any convincing to be stopped BUT look at these two girls!! http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...hmp&1368225228 http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...hmp&1368225512

I'm a bigear junkie!! And I like the second girl...a LOT so...I'm fighting that urge to just bid on her! And I'm glad people like you are on here! If not I'd be clueless!!