Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #71 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh goodness, yes that second girl is amazing! I like that it's not the usual lavender-ish salamander coloration but steel blue which is pretty much my favorite color....lol

I think definitely waiting is a good idea and then the plants will fill in and maybe down the road when everything is doing well and all you could get shrimp.

I don't know if you've ever had a sorority before but you may want to have meds on hand before like things to get rid of Ich. The girls will be really stressed when you first put them together which leaves and opening for illnesses to attack so I'd just be ready to battle anything :)

But overall it's going to be awesome! And your sorority is going to be so beautiful! I really can't wait to see how everything turns out! I just added my "last" girl to the sorority, I say "last" because if I get rid of the neons which have been rather fiesty lately, I could have more room for more girls! And I'm saving out for when I find another girl like that redheaded girl, still in love haha. But if I find one like her then she will most definitely be my last girl in this tank at least.

I got to say, I love my sorority, almost more than I love my males which is saying something since I've had them for so much longer! But there's just so much personality jam packed into a 33 gallon, sometimes I feel like their ego's inflate so much that it all bubbles out of the tank XD It's just so fun and calming to watch them swim around, although my neons are starting to fight more....so I may be getting rid of them in the next week if I can find a home for them, it's just a little too boisterous for my girls even. But yeah, I just can't even express how much in love I am with my sorority and I know you will love yours too! Even with all the stress it may bring on lol, in the end it's so worth it. And now I'm just babbling whoops haha
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #72 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Oh goodness, yes that second girl is amazing! I like that it's not the usual lavender-ish salamander coloration but steel blue which is pretty much my favorite color....lol

I think definitely waiting is a good idea and then the plants will fill in and maybe down the road when everything is doing well and all you could get shrimp.

I don't know if you've ever had a sorority before but you may want to have meds on hand before like things to get rid of Ich. The girls will be really stressed when you first put them together which leaves and opening for illnesses to attack so I'd just be ready to battle anything :)

But overall it's going to be awesome! And your sorority is going to be so beautiful! I really can't wait to see how everything turns out! I just added my "last" girl to the sorority, I say "last" because if I get rid of the neons which have been rather fiesty lately, I could have more room for more girls! And I'm saving out for when I find another girl like that redheaded girl, still in love haha. But if I find one like her then she will most definitely be my last girl in this tank at least.

I got to say, I love my sorority, almost more than I love my males which is saying something since I've had them for so much longer! But there's just so much personality jam packed into a 33 gallon, sometimes I feel like their ego's inflate so much that it all bubbles out of the tank XD It's just so fun and calming to watch them swim around, although my neons are starting to fight more....so I may be getting rid of them in the next week if I can find a home for them, it's just a little too boisterous for my girls even. But yeah, I just can't even express how much in love I am with my sorority and I know you will love yours too! Even with all the stress it may bring on lol, in the end it's so worth it. And now I'm just babbling whoops haha
Hey!!

Ok so I have everyone together (posted a thread in betta care because i had a question)

So I ended up taking the 6 home for the week since the lady couldn't hold them and the little black faced girl...was a guy...so he's in his little 2.5 and I don't know if I'll upgrade him or not...I feel so bad!!

But I have my 10 in a 10 because I messed up moving the cycles (put the new water in and then tried to transfer things over without thinking that it would kill the bacteria!!)
So now I have an uncycled 20 long set up...I put a lot of ammonia yesterday and today to try to get it going BUT I tested the 10 gallon's water and the ammonia was already .25 ppm after 24 hours...so now I'm thinking, would it be ok to have the 10 girls in an uncycled 20 long with 2 sponge filters as long as I make sure the ammonia doesn't go above 0?
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #73 
Roemgie

ALSO not to sound selfish,

I know how you feel about the sorority tank!! I also hope you do find a little girl like my red head :) I know she'll have an amazing home!! (I will reply more when I'm done moving lol)
Old 05-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #74 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hey! Welcome back! Yeah, I saw your other post too.

That really sucks about the one being a boy but he will be perfectly fine in a 2.5, if I had more plugs I would be using my 2.5 still too! It's still a good enough space but small enough that you don't have to worry too much.

I do know that people have done 10 girl sororities before and as long as you have the cover, it will work out fine. But I now see where your problem is.

It's probably best to put them in the 20 gallon uncycled, this way there is more space and less able for the ammonia to hurt them...because it's less concentrated. But yeah, still keep on the levels and do a small water change when they get to about .25, otherwise they should be alright for your girls.

Also, do you have live plants yet? Putting a lot of live plants in there would be good too because there is a possibility of just doing a Silent Cycle instead.

EDIT: Lol and don't worry about me! I'm just happy she went to someone I know will give her a good home as you said. There's plenty more fish in Taiwan for me to pick from haha Actually Catw0man just bought me two new girls from AB, I'll just be repaying her for shipping! So I got two Dragon scales since there was no DT's that I currently liked. One is blue scales with yellow fins, HM and the other is white scales and yellow fins but a VT. Can't wait to get them :D

Last edited by lilnaugrim; 05-19-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #75 
Roemgie

Thank you!! I know it has been forever!! I will post pictures of all my girls on here soon :) still in the process of unpacking and throwing away what I don't need (I am a hoarder and to be honest practically all my desk and drawer space is full of tanks or fish related things lol)

Yeah I have to admit I was disappointed but really he's a beautiful boy! (He grew more from when he was pictured) And I don't mind having him, I just hate that he's alone (I guess I've gotten too use to my bettas having buddies :P )

Yeah I just realized that i haven't heard of people having a ton lol but I need to move them tonight because some of my girls are really getting beaten up and Opal has been swimming side ways again so I want to give them all more space.

Ok so I doubt you're still on, or up, but I was planning on cycling the tank so I got the ammonia up to 2.0 ppm before realizing I wanted to move my girls. I was going to do a 50% change and add a little bit of water to see what happens to the ammonia, but will I have to practically do a 100% to get all that ammonia out? I have a tiny little bin and bowl so unfilling and filling takes a lot and I just wanna make sure that I don't under do it or over lol.

I only have a little bit of live plants but I've never heard of a silent cycle! I would love to get more plants but really I think right now I need to focus on school and worry about ordering and caring for plants later lol I really don't have the money either to throw away -___-

I'm glad you got dragons!! I hope they're doing well for you :) They defiantly sound beautiful!! I cannot wait for you to get them either!!! I love all of my girls and I'm excited to get them into a bigger tank!!!!
Old 05-20-2013, 02:13 AM   #76 
Roemgie

So everyone is FINALLY moved into the 20 long...3 hours later lol but Opal is defiantly on her side so I'm leaving her in my breeder container and hope she starts swimming up right after a good nights rest!

They all also seem really happy, I hope! I used hamster tubes and all my silk plants to try to give them as much cover but they do have a lot of open spaces, hopefully that's ok especially with all the room now. I'm also happy because I can have my desk space back now :P
Old 05-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #77 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, I went to bed around 11 lol I was too sleepy XD

A Silent Cycle is just when you've got lots of plants that you'll never get readings of ammonia, nitrites, maybe some nitrates because the plants immediately start eating it up right away. It's best to do it with fast growers like Anacharis, Hornwort, Cabomda, Rotala, Ludwigia, and a few others. But what happens is the cycle goes in slow motion basically, it takes longer to actually cycle, about 2 months but it's completely safe for your fish. The cycle is happening...it's just Silent lol They should have called it the Ninja Cycle

I'm glad they're all in though! I hope the morning brings good news :)

And no worries about the plants and stuff, I know I can also get carried away sometimes and school falls by the wayside. I was supposed to take summer courses this year but I'll have to do it next year because I have no money to pay for it! I spent it all on fish stuff

But yes, school ultimately comes first, it just sucks sometimes when it has to
Old 06-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #78 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Yeah, I went to bed around 11 lol I was too sleepy XD

A Silent Cycle is just when you've got lots of plants that you'll never get readings of ammonia, nitrites, maybe some nitrates because the plants immediately start eating it up right away. It's best to do it with fast growers like Anacharis, Hornwort, Cabomda, Rotala, Ludwigia, and a few others. But what happens is the cycle goes in slow motion basically, it takes longer to actually cycle, about 2 months but it's completely safe for your fish. The cycle is happening...it's just Silent lol They should have called it the Ninja Cycle

I'm glad they're all in though! I hope the morning brings good news :)

And no worries about the plants and stuff, I know I can also get carried away sometimes and school falls by the wayside. I was supposed to take summer courses this year but I'll have to do it next year because I have no money to pay for it! I spent it all on fish stuff

But yes, school ultimately comes first, it just sucks sometimes when it has to
So my long needed to reply is now!!

I went to bed at midnight and woke up at 4 am to drive the 4 hours to come back to college and then I ended up almost passing out like 4 times so I kept stopping to nap -___- thankfully I'm awake now!!

Now I have to admit the silent cycle sounds amazing!! Although I have only about 2 months left before I move back home for 3 weeks :/ and now that I think about it maybe I can cycle my 10 gallon and get it ready so when I do go home I'll just pack it up and add my girls in there...but that could fall through so who knows! But I will defiantly look into getting those plants! I am in need of more cover for Maximus in the 5 gallon so I was going to go on aquabid.com and see what they have but i'll defiantly look for those :) the only problem is I cannot get the 5 gallon top onto the tank because it's like literally a mm too big. Not even, a nanometer too big so I cannot really get the tank into the little shelve space without the top being pressed down! So hopefully they don't need top light BUT his tank is kind of in 'sun light' its not direct but light does come in on all of my tanks.

Yeah I'm doing summer courses now and I have to admit I miss home so much!! But at least my mom cannot say anything about my fish...until I come home lol and yeah it does suck when I have to rush to class instead of stay with my girls!!
Old 06-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #79 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh darn, the shelf won't be able to move up much will it? You can try getting one of those glass canopies to fit over it and then use a clamp on light or a small reading light for a light source. Plants needs at least an 8 hour photo period to grow.

See the good thing about the Silent Cycle is that you can just pick up your tank and go. It will be more expensive to get all the plants you need, but it would provide more cover, keep your tank cleaner and you wouldn't have to worry about cycling it all over again. Then just set it back up at home and you're good to go, same with when you come back to school.

Also it won't be good for direct sunlight on your tanks either because the sun will actually heat up the water. I had a vase of plants on the window sill that only gets about 5 hours of direct sunlight. That thing heats up to about a 100 degree's easily, of course it's a smaller volume of water but all the same. It will also help create algae too which you really don't want lol

I hope everything can come together for you soon though! I know it's not fun with half your girls are sick and then planning is a pain and then of course school on top of it lol something good will all come out of this though