Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2008, 09:53 PM   #11 
iamntbatman

Of course, prevention is key. What, exactly, do you recommend as treatment for a constipated betta? As far as I'm aware, there's no such thing as a meaty food that provides any sort of fiber.

I agree, "A properly fed and cared for betta should never need something like peas in its diet." However, if the betta has NOT been properly fed or cared for, as is the case with fish belonging to many new hobbyists who are seeking guidance on this forum, the constipation needs to be addressed.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:03 PM   #12 
bettababy

Daphnia is a healthy, nutritious, and natural laxative that is safe for a betta.
bettababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:06 PM   #13 
GeegaFish

Thanks, Dawn, for taking the time to add and correct the Sticky about Bettas. I don't have any at the moment, but learned a few things from reading your posts. I am confident that I'll be a better Betta handler in the future because of the information you've provided (along with what I've learned on my own). :D

And thanks also to Cody for providing the original Sticky as a starting point. 8)
GeegaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:01 AM   #14 
Cody

Dawn, great post. I havent been able to incorperate a new thread yet, but I will try to do it as soon as I can. Thanks!
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:50 AM   #15 
MisticAllie314

wow awesome info! thanks... im pleased that the heater and filter you mentioned are the ones i use for my bettas now =D
Thanks again
MisticAllie314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:03 AM   #16 
bettababy

You're welcome to everyone. I'm glad the information was helpful. The best thing you can do now is to help spread the word to other misinformed betta owners, and even to lfs's. The sooner people understand the facts, the sooner the bettas have better care and live longer, happier lives.

I'd like to add one piece of info to everything else here. I have been working on assembling what would be a great first aid kit for a betta... meant to help take care of the most common medical issues. I am going to suggest that the meds to have on hand when keeping a betta are fungus eliminator, made by jungle, and methylene blue. I have not found a bacterial infection or a fungal infection that these 2 meds together can't handle, and it's the safest med treatment for a betta. This also makes a wonderful preventive treatment for new fish when they first come home. If every betta that went home spent the first 10 days on a preventive routine with these 2 meds used together, the illness issues that are so frequent would subside greatly. (privided all of the other needs are being met)
Important notes about using these meds for a betta:
Never use any kind of salt in the water when using fungus eliminator. (It has a large quantity of salt in it)

Always keep water temp at 80 - 82 during medication and for at least 2 wks after. 80 - 82 is the best temp for them anyways.

Daily water changes with freshly medicated water are needed during the 10 day treatment. Water can be mixed in a bucket and used for 48 hours, or 2 changes before needing to be remixed. This bucket should have a cover on it to keep dust and other pollutants out.

Fungus guard and other fungal medications are no substitute with the methylene blue for this treatment. Not all other fugus meds are safe to use with methylene blue, and not all are safe for bettas.

Do not overdose either of these meds. Always dose according to the directions on the containers.

These medications are not safe for live plants. Live plants should be moved to a bucket of unmedicated tank water before treatment begins, or betta should be moved to a glass quarantine tank for treatment.

These medications may stain acrylic and plastic. It is always best to treat in a glass container.

The last time I checked, Drs Foster & Smith offered both of these medications on their website. For anyone interested in keeping them on hand, I would suggest checking there first. They offer great service, have options for shipping (overnight, 2 day, standard freight, etc) and will ship to a wide variety of areas. The fungus eliminator can be difficult to find, but if you ask at your lfs, most of them should have it available to order.

If anyone has any other questions, now is the time to ask. The more that goes into the new sticky the better. I am so glad that this turned into such a wonderful learning opportunity for all!
Old 07-25-2008, 10:29 AM   #17 
fishhead

You suggest 50% water changes weekly; I plan on putting a betta in my 5 gallon hex with filter...would I still need 50% changes or would the more traditional 20-25% work - since it is filtered...

Thanks!
fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:59 PM   #18 
bettababy

If there is carbon in the filter then 25 - 30% should be plenty weekly, but that is provided the fish isn't overfed.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:54 PM   #19 
fishhead

Excellent, thanks!
fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:55 AM   #20 
Angie P

Man did I learn alot from that.... My betas are in a 1 gal separated tank. when I can I will get a new one... When I changed to this tank that had a light.. I though that is why my last Betta died.. cause it was too warm for him. Apparently not... I will try keeping it on more and getting him a shelter.
Angie P is offline   Reply With Quote