Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #1 
Nathanfiddes

Chronic SBD, what to try now?

Hi

I have an SBD issue with my white delta male betta. I bought him three weeks ago. He was active and seemed happy. After one day of not feeding him I gave him single Hikari pellet. The next day he showed signs of SBD. He could not swim down without floating up. I added a little epsom salt as I wanted to catch this early (1tsp/gal) and he was fine again after a day. I maintained dailey water changes and slowly removed the salt over the next three days. I also starved him then too.

During this time I noticed he had ick so using the information on this forum I started to treat this with AQ and water changes. This removed ick well. On feeding him 3 bloodworms his SBD showed up again but this time it has stayed and go much worse. Over time I removed the AQ through water changes and slowly added ES to get it up to 3tsp/gal. I also added IAL. He has shown no improvement at all. I have witnessed him pooping regularly which are brown and look normal.

He cannot swin straight with his tail falling down and spends most of his time on the floor, under leaves or jammed in a plant. I have now removed the ES as it was in there for a while and added more IAL so his water is stained well.

I feed him once every three days, once on half a pellet and then on some daphina.

He eats well but I don't know what to do now. Do I admit defeat and lower his water further? He does not seem happy now.

Heres the answers to the questions:

Housing
What size is your tank? 5g (currently 3g becuase I have lowered the water)
What temperature is your tank? 82 degress
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Pellets, Frozen Bloodworm/Daphina
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day (fast one day a week)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:.20
pH:7
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Looks thin around swim bladder area. Was very bloated at the front but this has now gone. He is a white fish so no colour change. He has been biting his fins.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Sits on the floor, under leaves, in plants. Doesn't really swim.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Three weeks argo after his first feed.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Epsom Salt 3tsp/g for around 8 days. Added IAL.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)? Very young, I would say a few months as he very small.

Any help you could give me would be great, i'm out of ideas.

The pic attached was taken a couple of days ago.

Thanks

Nath
Attached Images

Nathanfiddes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #2 
Nathanfiddes

Hi

After reading more on this forum I have decided to carry on with Epsom salt but only at 1tspn a gallon and lots of IAL.

I am considering putting in an anti parasite treatment as I have used salts now for a long time.

Can anyone recommend an anti parasite treatment that I may be able to get in the uk?

Thanks

Nath
Nathanfiddes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #3 
HeroicPoison

First off frozen bloodworms have been known to cause bloat, they puff up in their tummies. You can try replacing those with frozen bloodworms.
I have also read a few places bettas can get bloat from feeding on the surface, they gulp in the air. This is something idk for sure, hopefully someone who knows more will chime in :)
Idk that brand of food... I know here suggested brands are new life spectrum and omega one... not sure once again if that could cause a problem.
I do know bettas can be treated with epsom salt for up to 14 days tho :) so he will be ok for a few more days if you dont get a reply right away
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sbd