Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #1 
bettafishfins

Want Fish

I REALLY want a betta fish and my mom sais I can get one. What should I be prepared for? What do I need?
bettafishfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #2 
Roemgie

Ok so I have to ask first, how much time are you willing to put into taking care of your betta?

Also will it be just you taking care of the little one or will you have help?

Last edited by dramaqueen; 04-19-2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: To add more
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #3 
bettafishfins

response

It will be just me, but my dad who used to work with fish will help me if I need it. I'm willing to put alot of time in and I've already done extensive research about the breed. My parents are probably sick of my walking around spewing facts about betta habitats, and needs, and prices, personalities...etc.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 04-19-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Could you tell us what you already know about housing, maintenance, feeding, etc? You may want to ask a moderator to move this thread to th appropriate section...
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #5 
bettafishfins

response

I know that betta's need AT LEAST a gallon tank. I know that they need to be fed 3 pellots once a day. I know that they need a water change/tank clean once a week. I know that they need a heater and a sponge filter. I know that you should only have one betta in a tank. I know their origon. I know what to look for when buying bettas. They can only have silk plants. I know that you can teach them tricks. I know more but my hand is cramping. I <3 bettas!
Old 04-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

It sounds like you'ge done a lot of research and are prepared for a new betta. I would recommend a tank of at least 2 gallons. You'll need a good water conditioners such as Prime to take the chlorine and heavy metals out of the water. You can have either real plants or plastic plants. If you get plastic make sure they're soft so they don't tear his fins. As far as food goes I would recommend New Life Spectrum betta formula or Omega One betta buffet pellets.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #7 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Okay, you are wrong. They do not NEED a sponge filter but it is optional and recommended. For a 1 gal and, which I don't recommend you need a water change at least every three days. They do need a heater. When you go to the pet store this is what you will need.
-Tank preferably 5 gallons
- heater (must be able to keep water temp at 78* to 80*)
- water conditioner
- Empsom salt and aquarium salt (highly recommended)
- decor
- syphon hose
- plants (plastic is okay but silk is more reccomended but more expensive and cheaper just do not get any with sharp edges)
Make sure there is no metal in your decor
- filter (optional)
- fish go for a healthy active fish with out any obvious signs of illness since you are a beginner you don't know how to treat illnesses. Do not rescue a betta as you don't yet know how to care for one.
That is about it, good luck I hope for the best!
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Aquarium salt and Epsom salt aren't needed unless you're treating for disease. 5 gallons is nice because you would have more room to put decorations, plants, etc but not totally necessary. I feed mine Omega One betta buffet pellets or New Life Spectrum betta pellets.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 04-19-2013 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Stupid Kindle!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #9 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

I said preferably five gals, it is not needed but I like that size as it is still small and can fit most places, you have more room for decor, larger tank so ammonia spike won't kill him in a day, and they have more room.
The AQ and empsom alts are highly recommended. They are great to have on hand as they treat many diseases and illnesses, are pretty cheap, and keep well so it is not like you need to buy new ones every month. For food like DQ said, NLS or Omega 1 are great! They do need more than 3 pellets a day, I give my fish that many twice a day.
Posted via Mobile Device
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #10 
Artemis

If you go to PetCo, don't get the babies, they need more work then the adults and are more fragile. Not a first time pet IMO. A 5 gal might be a little bigger then what her mom expects I would think. A 3 gallon will work nicely or a 2.5 but you will need to do more frequent water changes. 50% every 2-3 days. I'd recommend getting a ghost shrimp or 2 to help eat leftover food and only feed one pellet at a time, like 1 by 1 so you make sure he eats them and get out any uneaten. The shrimp only need food 1x every week so just drop in a couple of crumbs from a bottom feeder tablet. I like to get my bettas either a) a nice hammock that is smooth like this one: http://www.petco.com/product/119651/...f-Hammock.aspx for them to rest on at night so they are near the surface b) get a smooth decoration that comes near the top for him to rest on

I agree that no rescuing for now although AQ (aquarium) salt and Epsom will be good to have on hand in case of emergency.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote