Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #1 
Skyewillow

Critique on my VTs?

I probably won't ever breed them, but I was wondering if they make a good pair? (two pictures for each, because either their topline was clear, or their fins were...)

Male:
(finnage)

(topline)

Female:
(Finnage)

(topline)

what is good, what is bad about each? Would they compliment each other? Or should I replace one (which) if I do end up breeding?

IF I do decide to breed, my goal would be for showing in the IBC to try to put veils back into the standards and shows under their own class.

Thank you!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #2 
Marvel170

I love their colors and their finnage looks very nice especially on the girl, I would have a back up pair just incase they don't like each other.
Marvel170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #3 
Skyewillow

More pictures of him.

I have to get numbers of photos, he doesn't sit still and flare, he ZOOMS and flares!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #4 
Marvel170

XD the bane of all the people trying to take pictures of their fish, you have to take like a million pics and then go through them all and see which ones are decent enough to put on here XD I love how even his fins are he is a very fine fish :)
Marvel170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Well, the male has nice, full fins and the female... Are you sure she is a veiltail? Their top lines are OK, his spoons a bit and hers has a slight arch. Their colors are nice for the most part, but the male especially has a lot of red wash. You would get decent fish very similar to the parents (if the female is a vt... She looks like a ct cross to me), but keep in mind that since you can just go buy one for three bucks at any pet store, you will have a hard time selling the fry... IMO if you are going to breed vts you should always go for full finnage and you should add something to make them stand out... Dragonscale or ee for example.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #6 
Skyewillow

As much as I love my EE, and my VT's, that's something I won't breed. No offense to anyone who loves that combo, it's just way too much finnage for me.

As far as Archi's fins, I've asked the forum numerous times to triple check her finnage, and was always told VT, since I'm not far enough along to diagnose finnage types myself, I have to take everyone's word for it.

I also love the simplicity of a "plain" old veil. I probably won't break into DS or anything fancy until I get stock with a correct body and fins.

Baby Steps.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

You also have to think about what will sell though... Can you really afford to have 200 vt babies on your hands?

Last edited by MattsBettas; 04-19-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #8 
Syriiven

The VT-loving community is actually growing, and Arch and Skerr are both great looking fish. IBC standard VT might be a few generations of work, just to get the right body and finnage, but as a starting pair I think they'd do wonderfully (even though I think they're siblings! xD).

Still love your fish <3 It's not often you see that full veil instead of the slimmer ribbon that's so common now.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #9 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

It's growing, but the market is already flooded. They are very nice fish and I mean nothing against you Skyewillow! You just need to think about the fact that you could potentially get 200 babies, and those would not sell very well, leaving you with a whole lot of work and a whole lot of jars.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #10 
Skyewillow

Not all of them are going to live, there's going to be culling at some point. And my culls for appearance will most likely be adopted out to approved homes. That's the risk you take with any spawn. Also, there aren't any special varieties where I'm at. It's 99% veils and you may find a few crowns. I've had to drive 30 miles away to get my EE and my Delta. Veils seem to sell just fine here. Also, with girls being able to be housed together, it won't be such a huge issue.