Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2013, 11:37 PM   #21 
MoonShadow

I LOVE the male, he has stunning finnage, his top line isn't fabulous but not horrible. I like the girl, she looks more like a comb tail to me, but the vt gene is so dominant I don't think you would see much of those extended rays in the offspring. If this was my pair I would concentrate on A) improving the toplines while keeping finnage as close to the original male as possible! and B) breeding the red wash out of the line, nice solid teal/steel/royal blue veiltails with that males finnage would be show stoppers!!
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:36 AM   #22 
Stone

One thing I have noticed is most veiltails seem to be far healthier fish than crowns and halfmoons, I am pretty sure my red and blue veiltails could live through an atomic blast. I guess a lot has to do with how badly inbred they are and I would guess because of breeders turning them out like a puppy mill you end up with a lot of fish that are just sickly.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:45 AM   #23 
Stone

The oen thing I see over and over on this site is members trying to talk people out of breeding veiltails, if someone wants to invest the time effort and money into breeding veiltails, let them, we as betta lovers should not be snobish and brow beat and discourage people from doing something they want to do. We are all well aware of what most people think are the popular types of bettas right this minute, but next year it might not be the same people are pushing hard to get veiltails back in the spot light where they belong, there is just something about a nice veiltail with its long flowing fins that the others jsut can't touch
Old 04-20-2013, 12:56 AM   #24 
indjo
TFK Moderator

+1 MoonShadow.
indjo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:23 AM   #25 
Syriiven

+1 Stone
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:48 AM   #26 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
The oen thing I see over and over on this site is members trying to talk people out of breeding veiltails, if someone wants to invest the time effort and money into breeding veiltails, let them, we as betta lovers should not be snobish and brow beat and discourage people from doing something they want to do. We are all well aware of what most people think are the popular types of bettas right this minute, but next year it might not be the same people are pushing hard to get veiltails back in the spot light where they belong, there is just something about a nice veiltail with its long flowing fins that the others jsut can't touch
+1 Stone!

MoonShadow, my main concern is confirmation and health of my fish, so I agree about getting our unique kinks worked out. I'm absolutely in LOVE with Skerries' finnage, not bad coming from Petco. I can see where they're both a bit spooney in the face (more him), and where her back arches. Once I get the body down, I'll be moving on to color, maybe running two possible lines at once (form and color) and crossing them eventually.

Also, goats and bettas are vastly different, so while I have previous experience with breeding (dairy goats) I'm sure a nice escutcheon would be irrelevant here, so I'm trying to do the best I can and ease into the process. I've never raised betta fry, I can barely do guppy fry at this point, and I don't want to go out and buy some crazy variety that's going to give me headaches because of the complexity of the genetics.

Also, I am LOVING this discussion! Thanks everyone who has replied!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #27 
Stone

Now I love giants they is just something about them, I would love to make a giant veiltail now that would be pretty sweet,but my one concern would be all that finnage dragging the poor fish down, but still just imagine a veiltail with a 3inch body with 3 or so inches of fin, that would be one sweet looking fish
Old 04-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #28 
Skyewillow

That would be awesome! That'd be a real stunner!
Old 04-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #29 
justmel

The problem with a giant VT I would think would be parents size at spawning. If the girl is the giant the male will likely not be able to embrace her. My petco 'king' betta is more than twice the size of any of my VT girls, and might be to big for them. It would look pretty cool though.

I like you bettas Skyewillow, I say go for it. If I ever get a nice pair of VT I would like to breed them myself.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #30 
Skyewillow

Dory is a big girl! Wait till she gets there!