Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #1 
Shayebri

goldfish help?

so I just won a goldfish at a fair. yea dont get all mad at me for that lol. anyways, she (I am 85% sure after reading a bit) looks pretty healthy. I will post a picture soon. from what I've heard they can't (or shouldn't) eat betta food as their main diet, but I gave her 3 pellets when I got home.

I'm just wondering a bit on the care of goldfish.
Shayebri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #2 
Shayebri

Old 04-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

She's cute! I love the red and white ones! Glad that a fellow fish-lover got her instead of someone else. I've heard horror stories of fair goldfish being stomped to death in parking lots! :(

You're right in thinking that goldfish shouldn't eat betta food as their main diet, but for the first year of their lives, they need a lot of protein akin to what is found in betta food. For right now, it will do just fine. Goldfish also enjoy green veggies like red lettuce, kale, and spinach. If you have any extra laying around she would enjoy it.

For basic care, there are a couple things you should know. Goldfish get big. Goldfish are messy. And goldfish are social creatures. The long and short of it is that your little goldie will need a 55+ gal tank to be happy and healthy long-term. Truly a pond would be best. These are just some of the reasons I don't support live animals as fair prizes. They essentially give you a long-term responsibility.

Goldfish Fancy This is the goldfish thread we've started here. It's mostly for fun, but it does include some care tips beyond what I've told you here. Plus it's just a fun place to share goldfish pictures :3
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #4 
Shayebri

That sounds terrible :(

Alright. For now she's just in a larger 1gal tank with my sisters smaller goldfish, but I am getting a larger tank tomorrow. I did get them some goldfish food today, it says to feed them as much as they can eat in three minutes, but to me that really doesn't sound right.. how much should I feed them? I do have extra greens like that, so I'll be sure to try it out.

Also, she will most likely be sharing a permanent tank with my sister's small goldfish, who I think is also female, but I'm not sure.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

Unfortunately common goldfish aren't easy to keep. They are passed off as beginner fish because they are tough, but very few people actually give them what they need.

I would feed them what they can consume in about 30 seconds. Three minutes of feeding will have flakes polluting the tank everywhere! Those instruction are always so bad. I'm sure your goldies will love some extra greens. I soften them up in the microwave by wilting them for about 10 seconds before I plop them in the tank. Sometimes it takes a few tries for them to realize it's food. Silly fishies!

It's okay to keep goldfish of mixed genders together. It just means they might try to breed from time to time if their in good shape. When mine do I just let them eat the eggs because I don't want more goldfish to deal with!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #6 
djembekah

a 75 gallon tank would probably work great to house those two long term. but Izzy will correct me if i'm wrong :)
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:58 AM   #7 
TheCrabbyTabby

I happen to love goldfish and advocate either housing them in a 70 gallon or larger tank, or possibly putting them in a backyard pond (that was built specifically to house them, not just dump them in some random one and leave it at that). I have 10 goldfish in my pond and I love to watch them swim lazy circles and see their lovely tail fins flow behind them. Its very soothing.

Goldfish are, to bluntly put it, garbage trucks. They will eat anything that will fit into their mouths, and poop it out tenfold. I have a heavy duty pond pump to help filter out the waste and such, and clean it out regularly to keep it flowing cleanly.

Remember, goldfish can and will grow to around 10 inches (sometimes more) in length and need a lot of space. Also, Goldfish like it nice and temperate. If keeping them in a tank, then a water temp between 20 C (68 F) and 22 C (72 F) is recommended.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote