Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #1 
lmw0876

ph is really high

When I got Rambo about a week and a half ago he was doing good I asked the petshop what I need to know to take care of him she said she didn't know anything about bettas so I've been looking things up well I only have a 1 gallon tank I know I need a bigger one but I didn't know that at thr time since most of the others I've seen were in vases or small bowls anyway I changed his water yesterday put aquarium salt in and tetra water conditioner tablets for bettas in (I use tap water) I just checked the ph and it is 8.4 I have tetra easybalance that maintains water chemistry that I got today and idk what to do put it in now or change the water please help also it looks like he has fin and tail rot the edges of the tail are clear with I think a blackish color on the very edges of the tail i also need a heater but I keep the room very warm so his water don't get to cold and he sit at the top of the tank barely moving im trying my best to help him I just don't want to try a whole bunch of things that might make it worse sorry it's so long but please help
lmw0876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #2 
Roemgie

Aquarium salt is only needed if he has opens cuts. Other than that it shouldn't be used especially in such a small container. He is or will get dehydrated.

You are also buying useless things. All you need to do is get a simple water conditioner, BettaSafe is great to get. What you need to do is change his water immediately. Put him in a cup with enough water for him to move around but not too much. Change his water completely and clean the bowl by simply rinsing it with hot water. Add water that is the EXACT SAME TEMPERATURE as what he's use to (if you already know this I'm only saying it to remind you). Accumulate him slowly by adding a little bit of water in his cup every 5 minutes.

ALthough you're suppose to take a while to get him use to the water if he is dehydrated or all the stuff you have in the water is hurting him the faster you add clean water the better.

Do you have water conditioner on you? Like drops?
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #3 
lmw0876

All I have are the tablets but I can get the drops if they are better
Old 04-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #4 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw0876 View Post
When I got Rambo about a week and a half ago he was doing good I asked the petshop what I need to know to take care of him she said she didn't know anything about bettas so I've been looking things up well I only have a 1 gallon tank I know I need a bigger one but I didn't know that at thr time since most of the others I've seen were in vases or small bowls anyway I changed his water yesterday put aquarium salt in and tetra water conditioner tablets for bettas in (I use tap water) I just checked the ph and it is 8.4 I have tetra easybalance that maintains water chemistry that I got today and idk what to do put it in now or change the water please help also it looks like he has fin and tail rot the edges of the tail are clear with I think a blackish color on the very edges of the tail i also need a heater but I keep the room very warm so his water don't get to cold and he sit at the top of the tank barely moving im trying my best to help him I just don't want to try a whole bunch of things that might make it worse sorry it's so long but please help

Ok so here is what I use. I mostly use the one on the right, Start right (I get it from walmart) it may not be the best but all 5 of my girls are doing wonderful and for the past year none of my bettas have had problems with the Start Right. I have used BettaSafe but it is more expensive and that one is my back up when I forget to get more StartRight.

Please let me know how he's doing or what you're doing currently or whatever. If anything before you take him out add some fresh water with only your water conditioner in it and see if it helps him

Also you will need to get a 2.5 gallon tank and a heater in order for him to get better fully
Old 04-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #5 
Roemgie

Quote:
All I have are the tablets but I can get the drops if they are better
I have never used tablets before so to be honest i don't have any personal experience. I have had a success with drops only so that is what I would recommend. With the tablets, how much do you put per gallon or how much does one tablet do?
Old 04-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #6 
lmw0876

Jw was there suppose to be a picture if not I can look for the brands also is bottle water better cuz I think my tap water is to "strong" I guess you could say
Old 04-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #7 
lmw0876

One tablet is for 2 gallons or less
Old 04-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #8 
Roemgie

Quote:
Jw was there suppose to be a picture if not I can look for the brands also is bottle water better cuz I think my tap water is to "strong" I guess you could say
Bottled water like DI water (still water) is horrible for bettas and really bottled water isn't good for them at all. And where do you live? I don't need exact but what state and which end (like top or bottom)

Oh sorry! here it is
Old 04-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #9 
Roemgie

Quote:
One tablet is for 2 gallons or less
Ok well put it in about 2 gallons of water and then add the one gallon back into his 1 gallon tank. How is he doing??
Old 04-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #10 
lmw0876

Central new York he is really active right now and should I leave out the accessories for now and he made a bubble nest which I heard is a good thing