Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #1 
Kelly0727

To hot for outside?

Ok so I started breeding bettas last year, but had to stop very soon after starting due to my boyfriend making me chose between my puppy or my bettas... He claims our room was getting over crowded!

So I am trying to find a loop hole in his master plan to keeping me away from bettas. We have a very old rusty shed in our backyard that just so happens to have a work bench and a sturdy shelf.

Clearly I would have a lot of work to do cleaning these areas up.. but if I got it done he couldnt complain because its not in the house!

Now heres the problem..

I wanted to test the temp of the water before doing anything else and with the tank only half filled it seems to be in the high 80's. I live in florida and it gets REALLY hot in the summer which is the only time I would be able to breed bettas. Would this be to hot for the bettas and their fry?

Also I have no electricity out there so it would all have to be natural.. so would it still be possible? Advice and opinions would be much appreciated. Will do just about anything to make this work if possible! I need bettas back in my life! :)
Kelly0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #2 
erinbirdsong

I would suggest finding a new boyfriend. Lol :o)
erinbirdsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #3 
Kelly0727

Nooo I love him to much for that.. I just gotta find out how to either cool the water down or turn my closet into the perfect space without him knowing... thats it.. he never has to know.. >:D
Old 04-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #4 
Myates

I breed anywhere from 84-88.. 2 tanks I have going now (one with eggs, the other fry that just hatched over night) are both 86-88.

The only concern would be fluctuations between night and day - gradual fluctuations of a couple degrees won't be too much of an issue, but if a storm rolls in and the temp drops quickly then you can have some problems. But if you are able to keep the temp steady then go for it.. the temp in the mid-high 80s is fine.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #5 
Kelly0727

So it would be ok in the high 80's? You have no idea how happy you made me! I've been checking the temp every couple hours and it hasent changed much. Will be watching it to see how much it drops tonight.

I think if a storm came I could bring them in. I have a heater that I can use to set the exact temp that the water is. I just cant keep them in the house 24/7. Plus it would be easy to bring them in since the shed isnt that far from the house, but that would be only if I REALLY need to.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:58 AM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

On outside setups, If the temp is too high or fluctuates, make the water deeper. There will be a more steady area where bettas will most likely hang out. . . . But since your setup is indoors, I'm not sure if this deep set up applies. One thing for sure, my betta can survive under direct 1 hour midday sun in 8" water - air temp gets to 38+C (never checked water temp)
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote