Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #1 
SageMyster

Smile Ghost Shrimp?

I'm starting a 10gal sorority with approx. 6 females. I was wondering about tankmates and was thinking about ghost shrimp... however, I've heard that they die easily. Is this true? What about ghost shrimp is so appealing to everyone?

Thanks. (:

EDIT: Also what do they eat? Are they avid breeders?

Last edited by SageMyster; 04-19-2013 at 03:34 PM.
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

they are very active shrimp, also very curious~ if you keep your water free of ammonia, nitrite and have <20 nitrates, they will certainly survive XD
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

They are avid breeders but its highly unlikely that any will survive since for some time they just float around the water as larvae and make a tasty snack. They eat the waste on the bottom, or a algae wafer. Since they are used as feeders, they are mishandled and treated roughly, making them vulnerable... Still a good tankmates for bettas though. Pretty much no bioload either!
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #4 
SageMyster

All right, thanks for the info guys! I think I might get a few. (: Hopefully males...
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #5 
Bigj713281

I use to have ghost shrimp but they started trying me out every week or two I would have to replace them
Bigj713281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Umm, fairly certain that Ghost Shrimp don't eat fish waste, unless what you meant was as in leftover food. Ghost Shrimp never bred in my tanks so it's probably not likely they will breed in yours but this is just my experience. They are scavengers so they eat leftover food.

Also you may want to have small hiding spaces for them, Betta's tend to find shrimp as tasty snacks. These guys also have claws unlike most shrimp like Cherry and Amano which are more often marketed as the algae eating shrimp, which is what they do. So it's best to not house these two kinds of shrimp together since the Ghost shrimp is a little more territorial and will fight the defenseless cherries, however some have had success with this.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

i have mine in a jar~ lol
ao is offline   Reply With Quote