Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #1 
heythereitsv

Can I put my guppy in with my betta?

I have a five gallon tank with a betta (Artemus), and a one gallon tank with a guppy (could never figure out a name- can't remember the species- he's just a small dull little guy). Artemus looks kind of lonely, and he seems to have plenty of space in his tank (there's a couple of fake plants, some gravel, and a little hideyhole sort of ornament).

I was wondering if I could stick my guppy in with Artemus safely. Artemus used to live with a Cory (I didn't know you were supposed to keep them in groups), and they were somewhat tense the first day, but then seemed to ignore each other afterwards. The Cory died, however (not due to Artemus). Artemus seems pretty mild tempered.
heythereitsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #2 
Allirane

I have my betta with three guppies and Thyeo loves them! The dullness helps. One guppy should be just fine. The interactions are cute! HOWEVER, if you start to see serious agression (serious flaring all the time or long chases in and through decorations) then you might want to separate them. But, give it a little time. Leave him in there for a few days if the first few hours go well. Watch for those signs though. How long has Artemus been in the tank? If he has established his domain, it might be a bit harder. I introduced the guppies and Thyeo at the same time. He loves them! But, it's different for every single betta and every situation, I think.

Let me know what happens! It's worth a shot!
Allirane is offline   Reply With Quote