Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #1 
Koda

Chimmer, the impulse buy

It's been a long time since I've visited this site, but I just wanted to share the new addition to my betta family. I was looking at the bettas at petsmart while I waited for the employee to scoop out my bearded dragon's crickets (it takes a long time, I need a lot XD). I saw this little guy and he was just too pretty to leave there and I had an empty 2.5 at home.
At some point I tried selling that tank because I knew how tempting it would be for me to find something to put in it, but for some reason my craigslist listing was flagged and I never got around to posting it again.

So here I am with a new betta who I named Chimmer (pronounced shimmer). I named after Jason Chimera of the Washington Capitals....and because he actually shimmers.
Attached Images

Koda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #2 
Allirane

So. Pretty. He's ghostly, but gorgeous :) I love the shimmer part!
Allirane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #3 
principessa

oh he is too lovely! those eyes look so soulful.
principessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #4 
rabidbetta

Gorgeous fish! Looks a lot like the one I just bought/posted about :)
rabidbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #5 
Koda

I'm kind of afraid he might not really be as white as he looks now, the base of his fins look like they're trying to be yellow or maybe green. I've had the white ones change on me before. I thought the one in my avatar pic was white and a little steel blue and then his fins turned red on me.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #6 
bettafishfins

Oh my, is he not the most beautiful fish!
bettafishfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #7 
HMBbetta

and such beautiful pics! You must be a pro ;)
HMBbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #8 
Koda

Haha, I'm no pro, but photography is a bit of a hobby....along with most other art medias. But thanks ^.^
Old 04-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #9 
jadaBlu

He's beautiful! Please tell us how you get these shots and how many does it take to get them? Mine are always blurry. I have a Canon 5x130IS. It's not like it's an extra cheap camera. Is there particular setting and shutter speed? I've read the site sticky and watched some video about photographing fish but my shots still are blurrrry!
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:45 AM   #10 
Koda

I have a DSLR (Nikon D3100) and use my 18-55 mm lens to shoot my fish (although I'd LOVE a macro lens).
With this lens, I try to never go below a 1/60 shutter speed, but that is mostly to eliminate the blur from camera shake. A faster shutter speed is always better if you want to get rid of motion blur, but to compensate you need a lot of light and a low f-stop, which will give you a shallow depth of field (makes the background and foreground blurry, but subject is crisp). This depth will make it difficult to focus on your object (even on auto), especially if its moving around so blur will still be an issue. I'm not sure how the settings on your camera work since it has been so long since I've used a camera other than my DSLR or phone, but I'd keep trying with the faster shutter speeds. I find that motion blur is harder to work around than getting the right focus at the right time.
These are just 3 of 160 photos, so it does take some patience. Again I'll say I'm no pro, but don't be discouraged by having to take loads of photos to get the one you like. My photography professor taught us to take at least 3 different versions of the same shot using different settings just because the camera's recommended settings aren't always perfect.