Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #1 
bettafishfins

First Time Owner

Hey, this Summer I will be a first time Betta owner and is there anything I should know? Name suggestions would be appreciated as well.
bettafishfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #2 
ANHEL123

Hey welcome to the forum. Check out this linnk:)
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=142066
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:24 AM   #3 
gbose

BetaFF,

Yes, I suggest reading about cycling a tank (check out 'nitrogen cycle') and make sure your tank is cycled before you add a fish...

Use dechlorinator. Make sure you have at least a 2.5G tank. Use a heater. Feed lightly (less is more)

Good luck!

GBose
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #4 
Juditko

I would suggest investing reading time in all the "stickies" (posts at the top of the forum) in each area for tank size, water change needs, general care, etc.

I'm relatively new, but if I had it to do over again, I would have skipped buying the one gallon and 2.5 gal tanks and gone straight to the 10 gal I have now. (Much of that is because we're a busy family and the water change schedule for a 10 works much better for us.) Many people on the forum have much less than ten, but are very successful because they pay attention to the requirements of a smaller tank.

In my experience as a newbie, tank size, water changes, types of plants (natural or silk, and be careful, not all silk are safe) and decor, type of filter (after many other dealings, I chose sponge), basic info on diseases, best type of food, etc, and basic info on how to choose a healthy betta are the areas where the time I've invested in learning has brought the biggest payoff. The amount of information here is a bit overwhelming, but with some reading you can go into it as a much more knowledgeable newbie than I was. (You can probably save A LOT of money as well...I did everything backwards...LOL!)

Be aware of beginning to look at fish in the store. I fell in love with the fish first and thus came home with all the wrong stuff and slowly had to piece together what to do. Glad my guy had a strong constitution, or I'd have killed him for sure!
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #5 
bettafishfins

K

Okay, I will will read the "sticky's" . For an inexpensive tank that can sit on a dresser, what would you recommend?
Old 04-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #6 
Juditko

Depends on the dresser. I have a whopper of a dresser and my ten sits on it. Others here are very happy with their fives. I just went with a basic glass ten gal kit and did not use the kit filter. But I got the kit because of hood and light etc.

If you go for a larger tank one issue to address is making the water change practical. I found an inexpensive pump on sale and modified it to fit my needs...oh so worth it. You can look in my albums under new tank to see pics. It makes changing water a breeze. (My dresser is tall.)
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #7 
NeptunesMom

I got the 10 g Great Choice aquarium from PetSmart, and it sits on my dresser. Actually, I have two 10 g Great Choice aquariums on my dresser. But, I have a really solid sturdy dresser. I would price it out though. I got sucked into the cheaper price, but I still had to buy a lid (which it might have been cheaper to buy the 10 g set instead of individually buying each). The 2.5 g Great Choice from PetSmart comes with a lid. I have three boys in 2.5 g tanks. They are nice tanks, and my fish that suffered from tail biting in the 10 g, has not been biting his tail since I moved him to the 2.5 g a few months ago.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #8 
ANHEL123

How big is the tank that you want to buy?
Old 04-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #9 
bettafishfins

I plan on getting a 2.5 to 5 gallon tank as I will only be getting one fish.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #10 
ANHEL123

If it 2.5 gall do 2-50% and 1-100% water changes. Check the link that i gave you. There is information on best water conditioner , best food recommended.
Also check this thread i explained how to acclimate betta when you do 100% water changes. Your need to acclimate to the new water temperature so you don't stress him out.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=158017