Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #1 
megan6o6

Red face Cycling a tank

All please help!

Tank: 2.5 glass tank. heated-80 degrees always. filtered. No live plants anymore.

I've read many other forums, but since im a super new betta owner i dont really understand this 100%.
I want my tank to be cycled obviously, but im not sure how to do that safetly.

Basically once or twice a week i do a 100% water change, and i know this isnt ideal because the cycle needs to go and that takes a month or so. But, the last time when i changed it 100%, and after i put in the conditioner and benefitial bacteria. A couple of days later there was a bacteria bloom- and from what i read i was suppossed to let it sit until the water cleared by itself. But, this caused my fish to begin the early stages of fin rot. Which I a now treating with salt and stresscoat.

Please help me. how am i suppossed to get the cycle going and keep it which maintaining healthy water?? and please explain it as basic as possible!
Thankyouall:)
megan6o6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #2 
gbose

Megan:

I'm sorry you got fish in an uncycled tank; but that's where you are.

So, just keep up with daily 50% water changes. Get a water test kit (liquid type, no test strips). You should first see high ammonia, then it'll drop to 0 and nitrites will rise. When they fall to 0 and nitrates rise, your tank is cycled. Then you can go back to weekly water changes (I suggest 80-90%)

GBose
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote