Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #1 
Artemis

Fighter Plakat (Read before Dissing Please)

I know that there are varying opinions on betta fighting and I have seen just how pretty the females are and would like to get one out of that environment but how well would they do in a divided tank? If you buy them online they are often 9-10 months old, would they already be trained to fight?
Old 04-21-2013, 05:56 AM   #2 
VJM

I am confused. As far as I know, females are not used to fight.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:06 AM   #3 
Flapmon

You could actually have what's called a "sorority" of females in a big tank that's covered in live plants for hiding places. I'm not sure how you mean by "already trained to fight" it's more of an instinct and animal cruelty if you actually buy them for that purpose.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #4 
Artemis

I have a sorority myself, I had actually been about to post asking if they would be okay in with the girls but decided I would rather have a male. Forgot to backspace it all. Oops!

The females do fight, just not as often as the males do. The instinct is natural however they do things to make them faster, stronger, more territorial, etc. and they are bred to have more teeth, more instinct to fight, better size. I was wondering if a male would be okay in a divided tank or would it cause to much stress for him.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #5 
Myates

Fighter Plakats are not all used for fighting. Many many breeders breed them because they love their colors/personality/health over the other "fancy" plakats. A "fighter" plakat is a description for a particular type of PK, not meaning they are used in fighting. Fighters tend to be overall sturdier, healthier, bigger, etc.

Not saying some aren't used for fighting, but generally you find many breeders who sell them and have nothing to do with fighting. There are breeders who do sell for fighting.. so just be aware of that when you purchase them. Look for a reputable breeder that doesn't support fighting, or sell for fighting if you want :) Superman bettas are great "fighters" I know a shop in MN that sells them (in the shop and will ship them) and they will not tolerate fighting.. they just sell fighters from Thailand to people who love them.

Females can sometimes live together in sororities - and that goes for all the splendens "types". A female "fighter" won't be any different than any other female.. she may be slightly larger, but she could easily be a sweetheart as well as a monster. As long as the divider is high enough and the water level low enough she should have no problem being in a divided tank.

Last edited by Myates; 04-21-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #6 
Artemis

I was kinda looking for one to take out of that environment and save them from years of fighting however shipping would be too much so go ahead and lock
Old 04-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #7 
Myates

It is a noble thing, wanting to rescue one.. :)

I will lock per request.
Closed Thread