Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #1 
Scottyhorse

Questions about Colors and Genetics.

I finally got a healthy betta (this time from my lfs) and I have fallen in love with his personality! I think Betta's are going to be one of my main focus' of fish keeping. I do have a few questions, and I would like to get people's opinions on what I plan to do for breeding and fry.
First my questions.

1. Breeding Different Colors.
I am really a fan of Mustard Gas Betta's. But I also like Slough, Koi, Gold, well, most colors. Is it okay to breed different colors, or would those make mutts? I am not going to be breeding for profit, I just want the experience and for fun. I am planning on selling them fairly cheap. As long as they are pretty and healthy, I personally don't mind, but I am wondering if that it frowned upon or anything.

2. Breeding Different Tail Types.
I do know that this is usally frowned upon, but what if I came across two different tail types that would be a great spawn? Would it make the fry deformed?

3. Spawn and Fry Setup.
Right now, I am planning on using food safe plastic storage tubs. (A) I am 14, so I don't have enough money for actual fish tanks, and (B) I have limited space in my room. My parents have said I must keep all fish in my room. Or the basement. I am planning on having an adjustable 25 watt heater, possibly a sponge filter, indian almond leaves, plants, bare bottom. Once the fry are free swimming and large enough and strong enough, they'll me moved to a larger tank and so forth.

Anyways I have to go but I would like for your opinions and suggestions till I get back :)
Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #2 
trilobite

It all depends on what colours you are crossing and what kind you are after, a general rule I use is dont cross red to blue. I cross other colours though

Tail types I cross, it just means you have to take a few generations to get the fins up to scratch. They wont be "deformed" unless the parents are. They will likely just have messy tails.

Your set up sounds good. Good luck on breeding them
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:53 AM   #3 
Scottyhorse

Why don't you want to cross reds to blues? I know they are dominant colors but. Also what if a betta that, is say, red and orange, and you want to breed it to a betta that is blue and green? Would the colors be all messy or what?
Old 04-20-2013, 01:01 AM   #4 
trilobite

Youll just get a mess of colours. Mainly blue with heaps of red wash and maybe if the right type of red is used youll get darkbodied reds with lots of blue irids. Both of which are my least favourite colours so I try not to make them
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:05 AM   #5 
Scottyhorse

Interesting. I have a nice Crown Tail male that I think came from a local breeder. He's got large, large fins, much better than one you would see at a big box store. I was thinking of finding a mate for him online. He has red/blue/black/and a little grey on him. What color mate would you suggest for him?

Thanks for all the help, I am really needing it :D
Old 04-20-2013, 01:12 AM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Blue x red will only give you multi blue-red in various shadings/pattern, but all will not show attractive/balanced pattern. Cleaning out both colors to be solids is very difficult.

Crossing colors and tail types will not cause deformities. Both are done for certain goals. Set your goals and plans clearly before you decide which to cross.

If you like certain multi combinations, use such parents. Do not attempt to create your own mutation as it may not occur at all. Eg; if you want a green body with butterfly like pattern of orange/yellow - you won't achieve it by crossing green to orange. It would be best to buy a male with that pattern and hope he will pass it on to his offspring.

Try to learn as much on their genetics as possible. This may not give you a definite result (betta genetics is far from simple), but at least you will achieve something close and won't need too many generations to achieve your goals.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:26 AM   #7 
Scottyhorse

Betta genetics are interesting for sure... Confusing also. So say I want (for example) a halfmoon with a koi body, and mustard gas tail. Would I buy a male mustard gas and a koi female, then hope I get what I want?
Old 04-20-2013, 01:32 AM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Basically yes. . . But IME that combination would be close to impossible unless a new mutation occurred.

You will surely get both mustard gas and koi patterns in fry. Percentage can't be determined though - depends on their genetic backgrounds. Or, fry will at least carry the genes which may appear in the following generation. This is where inbreeding is necessary - fixing certain traits into your line.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:36 AM   #9 
Scottyhorse

So how do you do inbreeding? See I also breed dairy goats, and inbreeding is a no-no so I have never looked into it..
Also, do mutations just 'happen' or can you control it at all? I think that combo would look kinda cool.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:50 AM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Inbreeding is breeding siblings, father to daughter, mom to son - with the color/pattern/form you desire. It is said that inbreeding bettas is safe until 8 generations. But I never go that far. Since F4 (fourth generation) = F0 (original parents), thus I only go to F4 then introduce new unrelated genes. So it has never given me any problems.

Never inbreed traits that are associated to deformities - double tail and rose tail. . . . well not until you understand more about them. In fact it is not advised to breed a pair of unrelated DT nor rose tails because this will fix deformed genes into your line and you will have to cull and scrape the whole program.