Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2013, 02:58 AM   #11 
Scottyhorse

Alright, that makes a lot of sense. Good thing is I am not a fan of Double Tail bettas, though I do like the rose tail bettas. I have a few more questions.

1. Are 'Dragon' bettas usually short fined?
2. What color female should I look for to breed to my crowntail? He's blue/black/red/grey.
3. What ages should you breed, for both males and females?
Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:07 AM   #12 
indjo
TFK Moderator

1. Are 'Dragon' bettas usually short fined?
NO, Dragon scaling can occur on all fin types

2. What color female should I look for to breed to my crowntail? He's blue/black/red/grey.
Pictures would help.
But since he's a CT, I'd suggest another CT. Unless you are trying to improve . . . say his fin spread. Color wise - depends on what color you want to create.

3. What ages should you breed, for both males and females?
It is believed (in my country) they will be genetically "stable" after 5 months - eggs/fry will be stronger. IME, at that age they will also be large enough to give you better numbers (eggs). But they can be bred at 4 months or even earlier if they sexually mature faster.

I often keep my females in small containers - if I plan to breed her to son. This will stunt her growth so that her fry could catch up to her size faster.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:18 AM   #13 
Scottyhorse

Yes I would like another crowntail. He has a great (IMO) fin spread, so I would pretty much be going for color and to make sure it is healthy :) I'll try and find/get a picture of him..
Old 04-20-2013, 03:26 AM   #14 
Scottyhorse

Here are some pictures of him. They don't really show him because that's when I first got him and he had SBD, so he wasn't showing off. When he is flaring, I think he's quite the looker.

Here.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #15 
Artemis

I love the blue lips! +1 to a 14 year old betta (wannabe) breeder. I'm working on conditioning and getting the setup ready for a plakat/delta spawn.

Personally I would go for a blue CT girl to get rid of some of that red wash.

I have always wanted to put a betta in a pickle jar! Does it distort view at all?
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #16 
Myates

Genetics/fins have been covered (not my forte anyways.. lol I just go with "this looks pretty, lets see what I get" system lol)

Only suggestion I have is the heater - you are looking at a 25w adjustable.. which is great for smaller containers/tanks, but grow outs need to be quite big (no smaller than 20g unless using multiple multiple ones) in which you will be wanting a higher wattage heater to help keep the temp up towards 84F. I would look into 75-150w adjustable heaters.

Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #17 
Scottyhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I love the blue lips! +1 to a 14 year old betta (wannabe) breeder. I'm working on conditioning and getting the setup ready for a plakat/delta spawn.

Personally I would go for a blue CT girl to get rid of some of that red wash.

I have always wanted to put a betta in a pickle jar! Does it distort view at all?
Thanks! I'll go for a blue :)
It really depends on where he is at. Most of the time you can see he well, sometimes, he looks larger, sometimes if he is in one odd space I can't see him at all! He's just in there for a while till I get a larger tank (on the way) because daily water change are a pain, even on such a small tank! I think it looks great though :)
Old 04-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #18 
Scottyhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Genetics/fins have been covered (not my forte anyways.. lol I just go with "this looks pretty, lets see what I get" system lol)

Only suggestion I have is the heater - you are looking at a 25w adjustable.. which is great for smaller containers/tanks, but grow outs need to be quite big (no smaller than 20g unless using multiple multiple ones) in which you will be wanting a higher wattage heater to help keep the temp up towards 84F. I would look into 75-150w adjustable heaters.

Good luck!
Haha, that's what I was going to do at first, also.

Great suggestion! I was just going to use big storage tubs for the girls, heating the boys' things will be a challenge...
Old 04-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #19 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Your Ct is a regular scaled royal blue multi (red wash). What color would you like to produce?

Royal Blue x Royal Blue = Turquoise, steel blue, and royal blue.
Royal blue x cambodian = cambodian (various irid level), grizzle, cellophane, royal blue (multi)

I can go on . . . .
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #20 
Scottyhorse

Crossing him to a cambodian sounds cool. What would come out if I bred him to a mustard gas? I think I would want to produce a dark green, blue, or purple, or a bright yellow, orange, or red. But I am open to anything, they are all pretty.