Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #1 
Sweetstrwbrry

Fins are clamped and form a point

So my perfect betta that I bought not even a week ago.... His fins are now 'shaggy' looking and the ends are raveled up together and form a point. I have a 10 gallon unheated tank with 2 cories and 3 neon tetras. All live plants and no hard decorations.

What could be causing this? Betta is not sick. I changed the water the last two days 25%. I use the API test kit and the levels are fine. Could it just be too cold? I would say it is about 76 in there. Why would his fins be doing this??? I'm considering buying a heater but I need to know if the tetras, corries, and an amano shrimp would be okay with it.

Forgot to mention he is a very active fishie. There is nothing physically wrong with him that I can see.
Sweetstrwbrry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #2 
xShainax

Um..That is too cold for all of your fish.
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:39 AM   #3 
EmptyYourMindBeFormless

You should definitely get at least a thermometer (usually 2-3 bucks at any pet store) so you can get an accurate temperature reading. It's not really something you want to guesstimate, esp. when taking into account fluctuations throughout the day.

From the care sticky:

"As tropical fish, betta fish require water at a constant temperature within the range of 77 - 83 degrees Fahrenheit."

For a 10g, there are a wide variety of very affordable, temp. adjusting heaters you can buy. You can look up care sheet/tip searches on Google on your other tankmates to see their optimal temps. I did some (very) quick searching around and it seems all the livestock you mentioned would do fine in a tank w. a stable temp in the upper 70s.

(edit)

Clamped fins are a common symptom of the water temp being too low.

Last edited by EmptyYourMindBeFormless; 04-20-2013 at 12:43 AM.
EmptyYourMindBeFormless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:40 AM   #4 
Sweetstrwbrry

Ok I placed an order for a heater and a thermometer, I just hope that solves the problem! What would be a good temp for all these fish?
Old 04-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #5 
sainthogan

All of those fish are tropical and need heaters, so yes, that will probably solve the problem. Bettas might be able to withstand colder water for a while, but the others won't for very long.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #6 
Sweetstrwbrry

All the other fish seem fine but betta's fins are looking even worse. The top one is down to looking like a piece of string... Are they ruined or are they just curled up? Will he be okay until I get the heater in the mail?
Old 04-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #7 
Sweetstrwbrry

This is what he looks like tonight. He is still as active as ever. He will rest on a plant but when I come to the tank he's swimming around like crazy and won't sit still for a pic! Not sure how he is able to swim so well with these fins, his pectorals are fine though.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2013, 12:01 AM   #8 
Sweetstrwbrry

This is what he looked like when I first got him.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #9 
sainthogan

It could be a combination of stress and cold. See what the heater does when you get it.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #10 
Sweetstrwbrry

Could it also be water hardness? I have hard water.... Almost 8.0. What can be done about that? All the other fish are thriving, just his fins. He is thriving too minus the cosmetic look of the fins :/