Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #1 
fishnewbie1419

Help for a goldfish?

I know this is a betta help site, but I was wondering if anyone could help me about my parents' goldfish?

My sister won this goldfish, Gertrude, at a fair two years ago, and she didn't take great care of it. She gladly gave it to me, and we put Gertrude into this 1.77 gallon "goldfish tank." She's been doing great ever since we got her two years ago - she loves to eat, is very active, and is a beautiful color. I just hate keeping her in such a small tank, especially since she keeps growing. And found out recently that this tank is mislabeled and shouldn't be sold for goldfish.. Well, they got us.

SO, I'll be home for a week soon, and I was thinking about buying her a 5 gallon tank. I know it still isn't big enough, but that's as big, if not bigger, than my parents are willing to get. They travel a lot and already aren't thrilled to be caring for my sister's "impulse fish." How exactly should I set up her new tank, and when/how should I put Gertrude in her new tank?

ALSO, my nana has told us several times that she can take Gertrude and put her in her friend's goldfish pond. However, the other goldfish in the pond are much bigger, and I'm afraid they'll eat Gertrude. Or that a bird will eat her. Also, her friend lives the next state over, so Gertrude would have to travel over 3 hours, and I would have no way of making sure she's alright and survives in her new home..

I want what is best for her, but I don't know what to do. Please help?
Attached Images

fishnewbie1419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #2 
Laki

First of all, I'm glad you realise goldfish need large tanks. Since you have a common/comet goldfish (single tail, not double tail from what I can see) you're going to need like a 40 gallon tank, not kidding. So, best thing would be to grow her out in the largest tote box you can get if you cannot afford/accommodate a 40g and when she's conditioned, give her to your friend for the pond. In the long run, she will be happpier.

I think they like company as well, so a 40g would house her and ONE more similar sized goldfish.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #3 
fishnewbie1419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
First of all, I'm glad you realise goldfish need large tanks. Since you have a common/comet goldfish (single tail, not double tail from what I can see) you're going to need like a 40 gallon tank, not kidding. So, best thing would be to grow her out in the largest tote box you can get if you cannot afford/accommodate a 40g and when she's conditioned, give her to your friend for the pond. In the long run, she will be happpier.

I think they like company as well, so a 40g would house her and ONE more similar sized goldfish.
Ok thanks! And yeah a 40 gallon is most definitely not feasible.. 5 gallon is as big as my parents want to deal with. Also, I have no idea what this means: "best thing would be to grow her out in the largest tote box you can get if you cannot afford/accommodate a 40g and when she's conditioned, give her to your friend for the pond." Sorry, I'm new to fish tank language!
Old 04-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #4 
registereduser

oh here you are!

Laki means one of these:

registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #5 
fishnewbie1419

So keep her in a storage container instead of a tank?? For how long? Man I'm so new to this..
Old 04-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #6 
fishnewbie1419

If I got something like this, how often would I need to clean it? Would I still need to put in a filter and decorations and everything?

http://www.target.com/p/ultra-latch-...lot=medium_1_1
Old 04-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Laki has given you some great advice. I agree that the best thing to do is grow her out in a plastic bin like the one you linked. Try to get one as large as possible. It is warming up in the Northern Hemisphere now, so you could most certainly keep something like that outside for most of the summer. You would need to filter it and do water changes regularly like you do with a betta. If you keep the bin outside then live floating plants on the top would be great to help with filtration. You won't need a substrate in it as this is just a grow-out tank. Maybe your parents will let you do this under the condition that it's just temporary and can even be used to store things in the garage when you're done.

If you're looking for some large bins, you should look at the Sterilite bins that Walmart carries. These are nice and large for goldfish.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #8 
Laki

As for "consition" I meant get her used to the natural weather cycles and temperature fluctuations by keeping her outside as thekoimaiden suggested.

Unfortunately for millions of goldfish, they do not do well in small tanks with bad filtration.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #9 
fishnewbie1419

Ok I think this may be a definite possibility! I doubt my parents would have a problem keeping her out on the back deck in this tub. If I get one like the one I linked, which is abou 17-18 gallons, what kind of filter should I get? And how should I change the water, clean it, set it up, decorate it, etc.? This sounds like it may work out great, so any instructions for me to follow to keep from messing this up would be great!

I live in GA, so it's getting pretty warm, but we're having nights in the upper forties for the next week or so. How cold is too cold for a goldfish?
Old 04-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #10 
fishnewbie1419

OK SO I'M REALLY EXCITED! I just called my mom to ask her what she'd like to do about Gertrude. At first, she thought the plastic tub idea was really weird. But then she came around. Also, she suggested that we build our own goldfish pond in the front yard this summer! So we could keep Gertrude and even buy a few more goldfish her size, depending on how large we make the pond. That way, we'll be able to get Gertrude into a better home, keep an eye on her, and spruce up the front yard all at the same time!

Our main concern is the weather. It's going to be in the mid forties - mid fifties overnight this whole week. Would Gertrude be ok outside in that temperature? Ans again, and advice on how to set her up in a new tub would be greatly appreciated!