Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #1 
xjenuhfur

How to properly tear down a tank? (moving)

So I'm moving out of the dorms in approx 2 weeks, and in that time I know I'm going to have to find some temporary housing until I can get my tank set back up.

I'm moving into an apartment, and I've currently got a 10 gallon tank.
It has sand substrate, 2 caves + 1 decor, some live plants, and plenty of silk ones.
Its stocked with 1 male betta, 2(couldn't find a 3rd) otos, and 2 rabbit snails.
Now for the fish, they are going to be in an un-ideal predicament for a day or two, but if all goes well then everyone will be happy. I'm thinking maybe a 5 gallon bucket + their plants + heater for the move (dollar store bucket hopefully). Or, I'm plunking them all in a 2.5 for the move.

To tear the tank down:
1. What is the easiest way to remove water quickly without sucking/dumping the sand?
2. Should I use old tank water in the bucket?
3. What do I do with the filter?
4. This is probably going to crash my cycle, how can I handle this? && how to re-acclimate & proper changes until the cycle reestablishes itself? I'm going to be using the old filter, would it be worth it? Or should I just buy a new filter?

Sorry for all the questions, last time I moved I had 2 small setups that didn't need to be cycled or weren't a big deal at all to move. If I can I'll keep Goblin in his cup, otherwise, I'm unsure as to how to properly move these otos.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Actually I would take out all the water except for about 3 gallons (enough to cover the substrate and plants) you can keep your plants in there as long as there is some water, so keep enough water that it can keep your plants moist but not enough to slosh around. If you can find saran wrap I would tape it over the top of the tank (don't use duct tape though lol) This will keep the moisture in and keep the water from sloshing out if it does come to that.

I would definitely use the bucket, fill it about half full with the old tank water, I would just plop that filter right in that so the bacteria doesn't die (unless it's too big?)

Goblin should go in his cup for sure, I usually put my betta's in the cup holder lol. The otos should be okay if you put them in the bucket providing that bucket has never seen soap or anything of the like! You could even throw in a few plants so that they have some comfortable surrounding, and throw in an algae wafer if that's what you feed them so that they can snack on it. I would also saran wrap the bucket as well to keep it warm.

If someone else as suggestions, please throw them in! But that's all I have for now. Good luck!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #3 
DanielaMarie

I filll a 5 gallon bucket halfway with tank water and place my fish and filter cartridge in there and then drain the tank so the water is just above the substrate; that way the substrate and plants stay wet.
DanielaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #4 
VJM

I am in South Florida too, so if you need help or a place to stash everybody until you find housing, let me know. I would be happy to babysit.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #5 
xjenuhfur

You are not that far from me either, I'm in Boca. :D

So the bucket & overhang the filter. Can dooo.
Glad to hear my plan was an okay plan. (:
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote