Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #31 
justmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsewhere View Post
My mother... It's the only reason. I have funds AND space and time, but she has said "If you bring in one more fish, I will flush it plush three more." I was really mad when she said that... But what sucks is that I have 13- ten in a 30g sorority, one female waiting to be QTed and go in there, and two males in a divided 10g. That and 5 Cories being QTed in a 5g. But this leaves me with this in the end:

1 empty 10g
1 empty 5g
1 empty 2.5g
1 empty .5g
4 useless heaters
About $100 worth of gravel not being used
About $60+ of decorations not being used

And it's not like I don't care for them- I spend hours cleaning these tanks and chip in with the electrical bill for them :/ But she says no more, there's too much on my plate. Allow me to consider counting the things I do...

1. School
2. Homework
3. Babysitting
4. Dogs
5. Cat
6. Visiting kitten
7. Assignments
8. More babysitting
9. Fish
10. Social life
11. Chores

But to me, it's fine. I'm not tired or grouchy or evil or anything... I just really like fish! Sorry about the rant...
It may not seem like it, but us mom's usually have a good reason even for rules that seem unreasonable. Give things a few months, then maybe ask her again. But during that time don't hassle her about it. Just accept what she said and listen.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #32 
Raincloud

Funds....Right now I only have one male in a 5.5 and an empty 10 gallon that I am preparing for a sorority. It is so hard for me to have self-control in the pet store though! Honestly, I have to travel every once in a while and don't like leaving my fish to a sitter too. Right now it wouldn't be so bad to get somebody but I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving a lot of fish. I think it would be hard for the fish and the sitter...And I live at home while I go to school and my parents are kind of weird about too many tanks in the house. Really though, I find my fish very therapeutic, I wish they understood. (they think I am crazy for being so attached...)
Raincloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #33 
Elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmel View Post
It may not seem like it, but us mom's usually have a good reason even for rules that seem unreasonable. Give things a few months, then maybe ask her again. But during that time don't hassle her about it. Just accept what she said and listen.
Haha, that was my plan :) I know she does have good reasons, it just bothers me when she first says it... Then she usually cools off after a while (can take months) and is all like "Well I guess another fish isn't so bad" XD
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #34 
Artemis

1) Money
2) Space/Time
3) *biggest factor* Mom.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #35 
DanielaMarie

I have a single 10 gallon tank with a male and some community fish. My reason for not getting a second tank, despite REALLY wanting a second, is traveling with everything. It's hard to find a place in the car for everything as it is, between my brother and I when moving between home and school for major breaks. I'd love to get another small tank, 5 gallons at most, but there just isn't room on the road trips.

Plus my family thinks I'm crazy as it is being willing to transport this size tank back and forth.
DanielaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #36 
HeroicPoison

I have run out of outlets in my house.... need to move to a place with more outlets
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #37 
DanielaMarie

I know this comment isn't going to help break the betta habit but for those saying their reason is a lack of outlets, my response is extension cords are a fish lovers best friend.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #38 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielaMarie View Post
I know this comment isn't going to help break the betta habit but for those saying their reason is a lack of outlets, my response is extension cords are a fish lovers best friend.
Yes they are, I have three of those right now plus two Timer extension cords for my lights and whatnot....I could run another tank but would need to manually turn off and on the light and I'm not at this home all the time....so would be a problem unfortunately ><
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #39 
HeroicPoison

i have extension cords!
Im worried if i plug more in im gonna start a fire
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #40 
DanielaMarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Yes they are, I have three of those right now plus two Timer extension cords for my lights and whatnot....I could run another tank but would need to manually turn off and on the light and I'm not at this home all the time....so would be a problem unfortunately ><
That's too bad. By the way, the betta in your avatar is gorgeous!