Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #1 
stareyes

Marimo Moss Ball

So I just picked up my first moss ball from pet smart tonight and I was just wondering if I needed to do anything to it before I added it to Reg's tank. Also, would salt in the tank hurt it??
stareyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #2 
alwaysaBettaLover

I just got a moss ball too for a bad algae outbreak, and I literally just popped it in,and it was fine. I haven't done this, and I don't know about doing this, but I have heard of people cutting their moss balls in half. I do know that with some amount of skill, you can actually roll it out to make a carpet like surface. Again, haven't tried it. Another thing is that your betta might nibble on the moss ball. It perfectly fine, and quite healthy for the fish, because of how many nutrients are in it. My betta doesn't, but I have caught him sleeping on top of it before one more thing is that sometimes they will float to the top. It's just the moss balls way of getting proper "sunlight" for photosynthesis. Whew! Hope I covered everything!!
But I don't know about putting salt in with it...
alwaysaBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:16 AM   #3 
Mar

I've actually heard that giving it a quick rinse before you stick it in your tank is a good idea.
And every now and then, turn it over on different sides so that all sides of the ball are exposed to light and the bottom doesn't rot.
And yep, every now and then, just give it a quick rinse in either old tank water or lukewarm preferably treated water.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:22 AM   #4 
Mashiro

I was told that you should actually squeeze all the water out of it once a week while it's submerged. I've been doing to mine and it's certainly not hurt!
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote