Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #1 
slug61

nerite?

Now that my 2.5g has finished cycling, is it possible to get 1 nerite snail?
My betta has already been in the tank for 2 months now.

Parameters are:
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
20ppm nitrates
7.8 pH
80F temp

I also have a bit of a brownish algae.
slug61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #2 
VJM

Yes! They are great, and really make a dent in algae. Just be sure to acclimate them properly. They are sturdy, but still do better with acclimation.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #3 
slug61

anyone else?

Also, does anyone know where to get one in Ontario, Canada??
Old 04-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #4 
fiky95

Hello :)
I just got one last Wednesday and so far so good! :) Mine acclimated ridiculously quickly and is freakishly fast for a snail, which makes me slightly worried, because they are known for occasional escaping from the tank.xD I have a 7g tank and have been fighting with a bit of brown algae as well. I wish I could provide more info.:(
fiky95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #5 
Jexx

Big Al's has ALOT. I got 2 tracked nerites there. I love mine but BOY they poop ALOT
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #6 
bniebetta

Yeah... They say nerotes poop the least but I have a few and..... Be prepared to clean. That is all I can say. You might want to do that for like a five gallon cause a 2.5 might be a mess.
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #7 
Jexx

seriously. First I put 2 in a 5.5 and I had to clean it every day because there was too much poop! I ended up taking one out and putting it in another 5 gallon. I have to clean every other day still! These are cycled and filtered so that just shows you how much waste these snails produce.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #8 
isochronism

I have had four Nerites for a few months. My tanks are fully planted in gravel and are on a southern exposure windowsill. My larger tank does get some algae on the window side, which I manually remove during water changes if needed. I enjoy watching them scoot around :)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #9 
AyalaCookiejar

Tankmates aren't recommended for tanks under five gallons and are limited to shrimp and snails. Shrimp have a smaller bioload. I suck out poo with a turkey bastor almost daily in my 5.5 with a Nerite snail between weekly water changes. She is a poop factory, literally. It is also not really recommended that you put too many nerites in a tank because they compete for food.

I'd say that your cycle right now only supports your Betta and adding a snail will case a spike until more BB grow to support both the fish and the snail. I had to add tetra safestart to my tank after adding a snail. Personally I wouldn't put a snail in that small of a tank BUT if you add some more filter sponge to the tank and add safestart your cycle may be able to handle both.

Be prepared for poo EVERYWHERE. If you don't have enough algae, the snail won't have enough food and you'll have to supplement. They mostly eat algae off the tank walls. If you don't want to look at poo all day long you'll also have to suck it out of the tank with a bastor daily.

I've also heard stories of Nerites climbing out of tanks so you will want to cover the holes in the hood and also provide a lot of hiding places for the snail. Nerites are great algae cleaners, though.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #10 
slug61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexx View Post
Big Al's has ALOT. I got 2 tracked nerites there. I love mine but BOY they poop ALOT
I just got back from the Mississauga Big Al's and got a small red tracked nerite.
The store near me has no snails....they didn't even know what a nerite snail was??