Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #1 
FrightyDog

Stressful Nitrite!

My water parameters are on my aquarium but the nitrite is 3.0-stress. SHould I change the water? He has no filter and it has been about over a week since i have changed it
FrightyDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #2 
ANHEL123

Yes you should change the water. How big is your tank and how much water changes you doing? Without filter you should do 2-3 water changes weekly depending on the size of the tank.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 04-20-2013 at 11:27 AM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #3 
FrightyDog

Whoops

Well it is a one gallon and i have done it once before when he sat in the water for a week. He is the only one in there
Old 04-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #4 
ANHEL123

For one gallon bowl make sure you do 2-50% and 1-100% water changes. Or you can just do 2-100% water changes. Make sure you acclimate your betta to the new water temperature so you don't shock him with drastic temp change.
Acclimation: There are a few ways. I will just copy and post it for you from another thread:

He can have betta in the changing cup with about 15% of the water and keep adding small amount of the new water about every 5 min for about 5-6 times -this way you he will get used to the temperature.

There are many ways to do a water change and acclimate (reintroduce) your fish back into the tank. Here is one variation that's pretty simple:
Note the temperature of the water.

Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min. (Study during this time. If he sits longer, it's OK.)
Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
Let his cup float for about 10 min. (Study during this time. If he sits longer, it's OK.)
If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed. (If he sits longer because you're studying, that's OK.)
Gently release him into the tank.

Big water changes should have careful acclimation like this:

Quote:
To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and have never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.
When I change the water I put him in the cup I got him in then I take everything out of the tank, rinse everything with warm tap water. Then I put everything back in the tank, I then turn the turn the heater on. When the tank water is the same as the cup water .Then take the dirty cup water out and a little at a time and put clean tank water in the cup. After that I put the cup in the tank and he swims out.
Of course DO NOT forget water conditioner

What food you feeding him with?
Old 04-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #5 
FrightyDog

I have no heater for him either it is humid in my room. And I feed him betta flakes specifically. I think i will do the cup thing.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #6 
ANHEL123

About food i am going to copy and paste for you from another thread
FOOD:

Flakes cause swim bladder issues more readily than most pellets. You should be using a high quality protein based pellet with the first two or three ingredients as whole fish not fishmeal or wheat. The flakes will also muck up his water quickly .The most recommended food New Life Spectrum by natural, Omega One betta pellets, i also using Aqueon they actually not the best one but i alternate them with others. You can buy spirulina brine shrimp and freeze dried blood worms by Hikari. I Hikari brand because it enriched with multi-vit.
But blood worms should be used only as a snack about 2 times a week because they can be cause of the bloating and constipation.
And also important how much you feed , make sure you not overfeed which also can lead to the swim bladder problem. Never follow the food box instructions , it completely wrong. How much you feed him?

Also be aware that bettas are very good jumpers so if you don't have the lid for your tank always leave the space between the water level and top of the tank, the same when you change him cover the net, or the cup you lure him in.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #7 
FrightyDog

I was thinking about that and he LOVES the fish flakes and I am afraid to just up and go change his diet like that you know? Also he has a lid, just check the aquarium link it has the parameters, picture, and video.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #8 
ANHEL123

One advice that i love to do in the summer with my bettas . In the summer i take all heater out and i just have one gall jug from the spring water. I put water conditioner and let water sit for about 24 hrs (uncovered) and then just change my fish. So i don't have to spend time to acclimate because the water that sit will the same temp as in the tank. I think it save a lot of time. Try that. Of course you put water conditioner and then let water sit. And still slowly put a little bit new water in his changing cup and then let him swim out. But i takes me less than a minute:)
Old 04-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #9 
ANHEL123

You can alternate his flakes with pellets and then just slowly change his diet. You still can use flakes sometimes. But i am pretty sure he will love NLS and Omega one. They love to it lol They don't know when to stop. So a few pellets in the morning and a few in the evening is fine. The same with flakes be careful .
Old 04-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #10 
FrightyDog

Ok well my sister's son has a betta and they feed him pellets which he tends to not like. So I will use those too..Thanks though.