Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #1 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Body Slime? And an Introduction!

Hey all, so while I was out yesterday getting the meds for the Ich in my 33, here's the link if you have any experience: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=156745

So I found this cute little MG VT female swimming around. I picked her up and she looked at me and then wiggled at me....I had to take her home!

Down the road if I can ever get the space, I would like to breed her with my boy Ditto since they have the same coloration (black/yellow mustard gas) but I'll deal with that later. For now, I introduce to you Maddie, short for Matisse. Yes she's named after Henri Matisse the artist! I had to have another betta named after an artist after Rembrandt! Most of my fish are either named for artists/astrological things/Marvel mutants.

Here's her colors:

Sorry, had to include this one, you can see her little eyes! It almost looks cartoonish haha

So the real question comes to here. I think she's got a bit of a body slime infection and I need you guy's opinion on it. Otherwise she looks healthy, there is a patch just behind her left eye and is a smooth slime.

And for a side reference here is Ditto (please excuse the tattered fins, we're working on it!)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #2 
crystalicethorn

One of my males, Paladin, had some body slime when i kept him in a 1 gallon for a week (quarantine) and i have a feeling it was due to stress. But when i put him in a heated and filtered tank it started to decrease every day. And after 4 days it was gone.
It could be because of the stress from bad conditions at the store you bought her.
crystalicethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah that's what I'm sure is what happened. Although I'm going to keep her floating in the 1 gallon qaurntine floating in the 33. She seems much happier to actually see the females so I hope she'll be great sorority quality. But I know it is infectious and I don't want to infect my whole 33 after I'm getting over a small Ich outbreak haha. But thank you, I just wanted to make sure.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:10 AM   #4 
crystalicethorn

yeah its best you keep her there for a couple of days. I think that it is important to have a heated tank for this kind of thing, cos i had a crown tail who died from an unheated tank and he had gotten the slime coat.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, she's floating in the 33 so it keeps her heated. I also had two betta's die from unheated tanks before I knew what the heck i was doing.

And crystalicethorn, I love your sig haha
Old 04-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #6 
crystalicethorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Yeah, she's floating in the 33 so it keeps her heated. I also had two betta's die from unheated tanks before I knew what the heck i was doing.

And crystalicethorn, I love your sig haha

Good, so then she should recover soon.
And thank you :D