Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #1 
SunshineSulie

IBC worth it?

I know this is on the betta breeding thing. I was just wondering if it was worth it to join the IBC even if I don't plan on breeding or showing now, but want to in the future.

I also want to get more info on Indiana betta situations... As of now, I know of me. Lol ol. The only fan, anyway...

Basically, what are the benefits of the club for a fan and passionate person, but a non-breeder/shower?
SunshineSulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #2 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

You get Flared the betta magazine!
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #3 
SunshineSulie

I thought you only got one edition.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #4 
Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBetta123 View Post
You get Flared the betta magazine!
Unfortunately, that alone does not make it worth it.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #5 
SunshineSulie

I do not know what would make it worth it. Lol ol. Not doggin on IBC, I wanna do it when I am older for sure, just wanna verify that I am not missing anything now.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #6 
Jayloo

The only thing I can think of that you could benefit from joining now if you don't plan on breeding or showing for some time is building contacts and learning finnage and color flaws so you know what to show/breed and what not to. :(
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #7 
EvilVOG

You get flare every month, or you get to read each month's issue depending on the type of membership you opt for.

I see alot of "what do i get out of it" and "value for my money" concerns. First off, the subscription to Flare is cheaper than any other mag you will ever subscribe to. There is also the IBC store, not always the absolute cheapest you can find the stuff for, but fantastic deals none the less. There is also the large community of betta fans and breeders, the best in the country, and most of them don't post here.

Now i know this place is a great place for betta knowledge, and there are people with experience here, and i'm not trying to put anyone down, But this place is like elementary school, and the IBC is High School and College by comparison. There are lots of people there who have bred hundreds of thousands of fish, tried every additive, food, housing that exist. And they also develop some of the techniques that will become the new standards in the years to come.

There's also the intangibles. The IBC is the organization that really pushes the Betta hobby. If you look at the chain stores these days you can find exotic morphs like DT, CT, Dragons, Giants... just a couple of years ago your choice was veiltail, or veiltail. Your money to the IBC is in part used to make that push, to spread the awareness, and bring more people to our hobby. That interest in our hobby makes suppliers create more products for us. It also makes those products and fish and everything else more accessible.

One more thing to note is that for most of us that breed in this country, most of the fish we breed and sell are for breeding, for the show circuit. The IBC is the show circuit.

So basically there is some stuff you get. but mostly you're ensuring the hobby and it's growth, which has it's own rewards down the road.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #8 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

+1 EvilVog! Magazines are expensive. Talking to all the fantastic breeders is a huge plus too!
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #9 
Coppermoon

I totally agree with EvilVog!!! The amount of knowledge in the IBC is almost endless. There are breeders that have been breeding for I don't know how long. Joining the IBC also gives you access to the local chapters, and joining any of those chapters may give you access to good breeders for very reduced prices, or even free (we/Lone Star Bettas tend to give fish to who ever will take them). You will also have access to show schedules in your area. You don't have to show, but just GOING to a show is awesome!!!
Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:17 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm a member of the IBC and I don't breed. The benefits for me have been making new friends, learning from experienced people and being able to pass what I've learned onto people here. Since I don't breed I'm going to try to take in culls and retired breeders when I get settled in my new home.I've gotten 3 *culls* or rather, fish that aren't breeding or show worthy from a couple of breeders. I hope to be able to go to a Lonestar club meeting sometime after I'm settled in Texas. Then I can meet all these cool people In person that I've met on Facebok,.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote