Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2008, 01:21 AM   #1 
MisticAllie314

Oldest betta?

so im having a bbq next weekend, long story short, one of the guests has not been to my house in almost 2 years. I told them i cant wait to show them the new changes to my bathroom and new fish tank... and they asked oh hows that betta of yours, do you still have him? When i said yes they were shocked. So i have had him for just abt 2 years... and hearing this person's shock actually got me.........down.
I think most ppl would think i'm nuts for this... but i'm going to cry a river when vash dies.
Maybe it's curiosity... I know bettas usually can live to be 4 if kept in a proper environment and cared for very well (which i def do)
And since i kno all you folks do too.... my question is...
what is the longest time you have ever owned a betta? How long have you had any of your current bettas?
MisticAllie314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:51 AM   #2 
Meatpuppet

i wouldnt worry too much. by the sounds of it he still has many years left in his ticker.
my last betta Gordon lived for 3 years before he died of some illness (dropy i think) then i flushed him and got my current betta Rambo and he's been with me for about a year and he still looks happy/healthy.

i wish you luck with yours
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:43 PM   #3 
JMeenen

My oldest Betta is Steele ..he is the one that moved here (Pennsylvania) with me from Arizona he is now 3 Years....My second oldest is King..he is now 2 Years ..the others are babies..except for Darla ..someone left her in my office ..she's pretty big so I think she is older.
JMeenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:38 AM   #4 
studioskim3

the oldest betta I ever had is this the one I'm takin care of right now... going on eight months now... unfortunately, the previous six died of my lack of knowledge on takin care of fishees... so they all died in 2/3 weeks. But I have 3 now... one is 8 months old... and one is 7 months old... and the other one is 6 months old :) Hopefully they'll stay with me along time... they make me SMILE!

P.s. I know someone who had her betta for SEVEN years!!! in a half gallon tank too! so... miracles happen... g'luck to everyone w/ that!
studioskim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:00 PM   #5 
ErinBBC

I think most people are shocked at 'old' bettas because most people get them from Petsmart and keep them in a tiny, cold, dirty bowl like they are told to by the uneducated employees and so they only live a few months. On the other hand if you take good care of them they can live several years.
ErinBBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #6 
The Mominator

Hi all. I'm new here - discovered this site looking for info on my Betta and some health issues he's having, but wanted to say he's 5-1/2!

He was a beautiful bright pink and purple when I got him - really a striking fish, but in the last year his fins have turned blue - old age maybe?

But he's the coolest fish - very social, very funny, but these days he's not doing so hot - again, maybe old age, but if the average age is 3 then he's definitely lived a long full life!

Well, off to search on some tail info...
The Mominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:53 PM   #7 
Meatpuppet

[quote="The Mominator"]Hi all. I'm new here - discovered this site looking for info on my Betta and some health issues he's having, but wanted to say he's 5-1/2!...
quote]
wow hes an old one. congradulations to you :)
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:46 PM   #8 
tmz

my sister had one for two years a while ago

i've had my current fish for around a month. i think it's only a couple months old. it was only 3/4 inches when i bought it
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:42 PM   #9 
studioskim3

my longest living betta Firefly lived up to a year and a half.... until we bought a pleco which gave him ich and dirtied the water to the point that he died :( my poor fishees...
studioskim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:26 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

My oldest one lived for 3 !/2 years, in a half gallon vase. (before I knew better)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote