Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #21 
dormbettafishery

My eye automatically found the title of this blurb. I was just about to post a question about the medium small size snail that appeared a few days ago. I've seen about 3 tiny little babies since then. I looked online, trying to figure out what snail type it could be, but I would like a second opinion. I'm thinking it is a pond snail, but not sure because I've never dealt with hitchhikers before (first planted tank)... I don't mind them and don't really want to kill them unless they overpopulate.

Does anyone know what type of snail this is?
The plants that the snails came from are micro sword and a anacharis plant.

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps364cbb24.jpg

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps6715a691.jpg
(I have no idea what the white/yellow stuff is in the picture... :s I really hope it's not eggs.... o.o Only after I looked at the picture did I see the stuff on the rocks.)

Last edited by dormbettafishery; 04-30-2013 at 09:10 PM.
dormbettafishery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #22 
colorxmexravyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormbettafishery View Post
My eye automatically found the title of this blurb. I was just about to post a question about the medium small size snail that appeared a few days ago. I've seen about 3 tiny little babies since then. I looked online, trying to figure out what snail type it could be, but I would like a second opinion. I'm thinking it is a pond snail, but not sure because I've never dealt with hitchhikers before (first planted tank)... I don't mind them and don't really want to kill them unless they overpopulate.

Does anyone know what type of snail this is?
The plants that the snails came from are micro sword and a anacharis plant.

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps364cbb24.jpg

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps6715a691.jpg
(I have no idea what the white/yellow stuff is in the picture... :s I really hope it's not eggs.... o.o Only after I looked at the picture did I see the stuff on the rocks.)
That's definitely a pond snail. Like a user said earlier, they're not necessarily a *bad* thing so long as there's one of them. But usually, if you have one, you have at least two and that's all it takes for a population explosion.

If you do decide to keep it in your tank, just make sure you don't overfeed and you shouldn't have too many snailbabies come about.

And I don't think those are eggs. Pond snails lay eggs in these little gelatinous masses either on the sides of the tanks or on the plants. They look like clear, globular-looking jelly things with little white specks in them.

Last edited by colorxmexravyne; 04-30-2013 at 10:39 PM.
colorxmexravyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #23 
Skyewillow

Technically, you need one fertilized one. lol
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:51 PM   #24 
Tikibirds

I like pond snails *shrugs*
You may be able to sell them on aquabid or ebay.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:43 AM   #25 
dormbettafishery

:> Thanks all.

^_^ This is my first time having snails thrive in my tank, so I'm pretty stoked on how fascinating these little hitchhikers are and how the camera captures them just right.

I will definately watch the food intake of my tiny community (it's growing slowly). I just added four white clouds and five ghost shrimp throughout a couple of weeks (one of the white clouds disappeared...so I currently have three (plan on housing six or seven of them in my 10g). And now my little hitchhickers. :)

Over excitement caused me to loose my common sense and totally brain skipped on the fertilization step. XD I am so easily entertained.

I did a little youtube research and I don't believe it's laying eggs.

I looked with my camera some more and I know this is kinda weird, but I could have sworn that it had eggs stored in it's shell? Does that happen? I don't think it does, but there's no harm in asking.

If I do end up having tons of snail babies later on, then I will definitely try to sell them. (did not think about this)

Last edited by dormbettafishery; 05-01-2013 at 12:51 AM.
dormbettafishery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #26 
Chevko

I've no idea how pond snail reproduction goes, but some of my ponds have been found on top of each other, with two appearing to have a duel on top of the thermometer. I think I'm gonna have an explosion, lol. Since I would love to get a few dalmatian mollies, would they pick at and eat the snails?
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #27 
Chevko

Yeah, I do have the sneaking suspicion that I will very soon have an explosion. Aside from puffers, what could I use that would eat up to adult pond snails? I would greatly appreciate ideas from eggs to adults ;^;

I have read that ghost shrimp will eat snail eggs. S'that true?
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #28 
Skyewillow

some loaches, like yoyos, will eat snails
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch hikers, pond snail, snail explosion, snail on plant