Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #21 
Lena N

So where to buy that Paragard? Do petco or petsmart sell it? Since it doesnt heart plants I could try it. Than I could keep Bettas in big tank. I looked and found it on Amazon, but it will take time for delivery...
Lena N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #22 
Lena N

I also can not find what are ingridients of that Paraguard...
Old 04-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #23 
Lena N

I found only one ingridient for now which is the malachite green, I wonder what are others.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #24 
logisticsguy

You will have some trouble getting all ingredients Im sure as many are Seachem propietory polymers. Most lfs will carry it and many of them use it themselves for incoming fish. Tt is so broad spectrum that it is anti fungal, virus, bacteria and parasite. Just find it easier on fish than salt and cleared up my fin problems very well.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:00 AM   #25 
Lena N

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Yes that is also true logisticsguy. But the salt was easier because it was on hand if I remember right?

Lena, they are so cute! Is Rudolfio a double veil tail??

Yes you should put them in the containers, float them in their original tank. By doing that it will keep them the same temperature.

When doing a water change I get my water from my sink and so I just move it to the right position. You can also put a thermometer under the running water to get it to the exact temperature that you want it to be.

If you continue you with the salt, remember to not overdose the salt or it gets too much. it's 3 teaspoon per gallon so if you are using bowls that aren't 1 gallon. If you have a 1 gallon bowl or tank or something you can mix up the salt in there and then pour it into the bowls your Betta's will be in.

You can start doing water changes on your bigger tank to start getting rid of the salt so your plants will be happy too. This is why it's always easier to have smaller bowls/tanks around so that you can treat the Betta and not hurt your plants because there are medicines that will hurt your plants too.

Did I miss anything? Oh, I have 15 Betta's now lol. I have 8 girls in my 33 gallon tank, and four boys. I just bought two Baby's as well, I think one is a girl and one is a boy. But I only have 5 tanks actually running. I use a 3 gallon bucket to siphon my water out with and then pour it down the sink, then I refill that bucket and pour it slowly back into the tank. :)
Dear lilnaugrim, thank you for telling me how your WC process usually going, I must confess I made it more complecated for myself. I tried to age water in 1G water bottles (several of them), than while WC I added Prime and tryed to heat each bottle with the same heater than in tank. It is hard to do :). Also I bought huge bucket (5 G) from Lows for water from tank, Iusually bring it from second floor to first to guest bathroom where I set the mess with all my "fish staff". I do not know where you found 3 G bucket, I looked inHome Depot and Wallmart they all were huge. In Ukraine though (where I am from) we have diferent size buckets but never 5 G.
These are for giants.
I bought couple bowls today in 99c store (2 for dollar). But they still are very small. Of course Cherryk and Blueno hated them. I have bigger bawls at home but I would fit one on one side of tank, but another would not fit as on another side of tank there is huge driftwood with Anubias.
Maybe I will give bigger bawl to one of boys. They are pretty stressed now. Cherryk like to swim fast like a rocket non so I think he would be happy only in 33 G or more.
Changed about 65% of water in main tank. Will change maybe 1 G tomorrow again.
I looked in internet there is no ParaGuard in stores around me. It is sold in internet for about 9$. So I will try to continue and finish with salt treatment.

I am sorry I wrote the names of Bettas in wrong way above photo, on the right is Pistachio. He has different shape that is why I gave him this name. I searched in internet how double tale betta look, they are cute. But no Pistachio has not splited tale. It is his fin. Actually his anal fin became so wide, it was really small and when I bought him.

Pistachio and Ruddolfio are sleeping already when I am typing this but
I am still going to wake them up to change their water right now. I do not have any aged water left in bottles, so I am going to get some from tap and mix with warm add conditione and change it now. Thank you for telling me how you do WC. I thought it is not possible to get water right from the tap.
5 tanks it is a lot of work. It is very nice of you to take care about all those guys. 15, Wow! May I ask you how much food do you usually give them? Do you fast them once a week? I do not fast them. Because when I just bought Cherryk and Blueno, Cherryk overeat and was very sick. After I read in internet that they must eat very little and I was giving them very little food after that. And I think that was the reason why Cherryk got his fin rot. Not enough food, couple cool nights and here it was. His immune system was done.
So now I do not overfeed them but I try to give them enough of food. More than an eye...

I talked to my husban today. He said that our heater was 20 $ when we bought it, and now it is 25$ already . He found some kind of Hydor on amazon for 17$. I must search more tomorrow...abut heaters...

Last edited by Lena N; 04-27-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:11 AM   #26 
Lena N

logisticsguy Thank you for telling about Paraguard. I read what people write about it in interntet and it seems to work well and ok for plants. Probably good to have it at home. Only I wonder why they do not sell it in all stores like Petsmart and Petco? Or even Wallmart...
Probably beacause it would treat the deseases and people whould not buy all others medicines... ;)
I also defenetly will buy it in future (found it on Amazon). Do they sell it in Canada in stores?
Old 04-27-2013, 04:07 AM   #27 
logisticsguy

Yeah most of the lfs here have it in stock. Also a good med to have around is kanaplex. Between the 2 meds most betta issues are covered and it beats having 10 different meds kicking around the house. Good luck with your fish they are very nice.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #28 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The 3 gallon bucket we got at Wal-Mart, it's a MainStays brand which is the Wal-Mart brand. It's a blue bucket that is labeled "Large Bucket" but the measurements on the inside go up to 11 liters full which is almost 3 gallons, it's enough to say 3 gallons lol

For food, I usually feed 6 pellets a day if I'm around all day, 3 in the morning and 3 at night. Usually Monday and Tuesday they are fasting (but I'm sure my girls pick at things around the 33 gallon while I'm gone). Most of the days I feed New Life Spectrum but on Saturday and Sunday I feed them Omega One so there is a variety in their diet. I also give them one freeze-dried blood worm as a treat on Saturday.

Yeah, you can use your tap water right out of the sink or shower if you are so inclined to do so. Just make sure you condition it before you put it in the tank and it's safe. I believe aging water is mostly for those who don't have conditioner, aging water just takes the chlorine and other heavy metals out of it, so it makes it safe for your fish. But no, you don't need to age water and use conditioner :)

and yes, most fish don't like to be in small containers but it is necessary if you are going to treat them and not the tank. He'll get over it in time ^^ Two of my boys, Remmy and Ditto actually seem content in their little cups again (the ones I bought them in) Remmy even blew a bit of a bubble nest the first time haha.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:12 AM   #29 
Lena N

logisticsguy Thank you very much for telling about these two medicines. I am sure this info will save me a lot of money in future. Really valuable. Yes, there are so many medicines in store that it is hard to chose right one for new Betta keeper. Well, I bought Maracyn 2 when I was in Petsmart about 2 weeks ago, but I never used it. I just though I would keep it for emergency. I am going to return it now. I also have Betta revive (I bought first day I bought Bettas) and I have several human atibiotics(mine) that Russian fish keepers use on fish too if they do not have anything else. Like Laevomycetinum, Furazolidonum. Antibiotics are still cheap in my country so every family keeps some at home for emergency.10 tablets cost about 25c.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:30 AM   #30 
Lena N

lilnaugrim Dear Lilnaugrim, thank you for telling about food you give to your boys and girls. I have now BettaMin (Tetra), Tetra Betta Mini Pellets, Aqua Pellets, dryed blood warms and I have frozen Hikkarri blood warms. I was giving them those frozen blood warms before trearment. Once I even soaked them in garlic, poor guys I though their stomack would burn from that garlic.
Today I was away all day and when came home found Blueno not in cup but swimming in tank. How he jumped out is still a mistery for me. I was so happy he did not stuck anywere. Now I see his white dot on body became more bright. I do not know what it means but I am going to continue salt for 10 days. Blueno doesnt like the cup, he becomes grey from stress, actually when he stressed he looks like a grey tiger...Each time I change water in cup he is stressed. Maybe you know some way to change water in cup without stressing the fish?
How big are your cups where Remmy and Ditto sit now? I cant put too big cups in my tank because tank is small itself...
When stressed my Betta poop very small poops (tighny pieces), sorry for detail...I just wondered it they all do this or only my guys sometimes so much stressed that poop right away. Trust me I use water exactly the same temp for WC now. They just stressed because of cups or when I catch them...