Old 04-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #1 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Fill this out-

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #2 
VaudevilleD

Fill this out-

Housing
What size is your tank?
- about 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank?
-75 degrees
Does your tank have a filter?
-yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
- it has a little waterfall but that is it

Is your tank heated?
-by a small heater
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
-none
Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
-BettaDelux pellets (not the best, I know)
How often do you feed your betta fish?
-once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
-every two weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
-100% and I clean all the plants and rocks as well
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
-Start Right water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
- I haven't

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
- His belly is very bloated and his coloring under his belly has turned from ruby red to a beige color for the stress
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
- He is sitting at the bottom of this tank and moving less than normal
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
- one and a half days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
- cleaned his tank
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
- no
How old is your fish (approximately)?
- four years
VaudevilleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:06 AM   #3 
VJM

Without knowing your water parameters, I am just guessing. However, one water change every two weeks is usually not enough. In a tank that size (even if it is cycled) you are probably looking at two 50% a week minimum.

Food is really important. Low quality food can lead to a lot of health issues, just like people. Try to find New Life Spectrum or Omega One.

Are his scales sticking out? It is easiest to see from above. Since he is bloated, I would fast him for a few days. You can also add Epsom salt at one teaspoon per gallon. Dissolve it in some tank water before adding it. Up to 3 tsp. per gallon is ok, but start with 1 and see how it goes. Make sure it is pure Epsom salt, no coloring or other stuff.

I am definitely not an expert on disease, but I think these steps can't hurt.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #4 
ryancalif

Quote:
Food is really important. Low quality food can lead to a lot of health issues, just like people. Try to find New Life Spectrum or Omega One.
I see this type of statement a lot on here from people who have no background in food science or health (I'm assuming you do not). While I agree that better foods can promote better health, no one on here knows, definitively, which foods will make your fish last longer with less health problems. Most people just assume that the more expensive, less "common" brand names are better for your fish. The fact is, there is absolutely no proven correlation between higher cost, less common food and longer lasting healthier fish.

In fact, some of the companies making the most common, seemingly "cheap" brands of food like Tetra have the added benefit of more revenue, and therefore more research/testing/etc, that goes in to making an optimal food for the fish.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Omega One or NLS, but the fact of the matter is noone here can definitively say that these foods will result in longer lasting fish. I will say that most bettas generally like the flavor of these foods (including mine), but my fish also love the flavor of Tetra BettaMin flakes... I've had very good results with all three brands to be honest.

Last edited by ryancalif; 04-21-2013 at 09:36 AM.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #5 
Myates

For the original poster - 3 gallon, filtered tank you should look into doing 1-2 50% water changes per week, with weekly vacuuming of the gravel to keep the water quality healthy for the betta.

A rounded belly can be from over feeding, among other health issues. Feeding once a day, you will want to make sure you do not over feed at once nor too little. Ideally twice a day feeding of anywhere from 3-5 pellets per feeding (amount depends on age/size of fish and size/quality of pellets).

I would fast him for 2-3 days, watch to see if he is going to the bathroom normally. If in 2-3 days he is still bloated, have not gone to the bathroom let us know and we can recommend a treatment plan.

The discoloration of his belly is only due to it being extended.. very common (especially in darker colored fish).

-----

As for the food issue - we can judge the quality of food by the ingredients. There are ways to tell what they are and how they effect the fish individually. That is how you judge the quality of the food.. think of it like us looking at the ingredients of our food. If we only ate meat/insects and were designed to do so.. would we eat food that the main ingredient(s) were of plant/wheat? Or would you go with something more appropriate for you?

The reason certain brands are recommended here more often is because the ingredients for those brands are some of the best, and that is from research of many people outside of these forums.

Only because it was mentioned.. Tetra's Tetrabetta food ingredient list - Wheat flour, fish meal, wheat gluten, potato protein, corn starch, soybean oil, corn gluten. In that list.. the only thing healthy for a betta is the fish meal - and that is a mash up of multiple types of fish and parts. Otherwise you have filler, sugar, carbs all over and that isn't actually healthy for an insectivore such as a betta. So whether or not companies such as Tetra is doing research, they have yet to apply that research to their food in ways of making it healthier for an insectivore/carnivore.

Scientifically it is proven that any living thing that eats healthy and properly has a higher chance of living longer and being overall healthy. So you can see how people come to the conclusion that the food that offers the best nutrition (such as NLS and Omega One) will lead to an overall healthier fish. This doesn't mean a fish won't become ill, etc from outside factors - but as far as nutrition health, buying the better quality of food will make a difference in life and health.

Not wanting to start an argument but just wanted to state my opinion that yes, the quality of food does mean a better living for the fish and is proven by science it will effect their life and health - as it's the same for all living creatures.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #6 
ryancalif

Quote:
As for the food issue - we can judge the quality of food by the ingredients.
I completely agree with you. In fact, I think all of the arguments you made in your post are sound, in theory.

However, the point I was trying to get across was that there have been no proper trade studies performed on this issue that can definitively say the use of these "high quality foods" will allow for longer fish life. At least I haven't seen evidence of such a study.

My argument was more aimed at the issue of stating something as fact with no direct evidence to support said "facts". It's just assumed that fish will live longer and healthier by feeding them Omega One and NLS food. There is a lot of "he said, she said", or "I read somewhere that.." information passed down on these forums, which makes it hard to differentiate between fact and opinion.

Last edited by ryancalif; 04-21-2013 at 10:57 AM.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #7 
Myates

I see what you are saying.. and I wish there was more research - I will have to look around and ask some people who are biologists/marine biologists who breed bettas and see if they know any studies in regards to that.

Most important will always be water quality.. food a close second equal with temperature. Many many bettas have lived years with no trouble on those tropical fish flakes. So it really will be hard to prove anything without a doubt. Another big part of it is genetics as well.. a fish who had sickly parents or not a great start in life won't grow up to be as healthy as another, etc. So a lot of factors play a part in life span and health.

Live foods are the best, and even those come with risks. I suppose all we can do at this point is just recommend.. until we can locate some studies on this. Personally.. I have a grab bag of pellet food.. I have individual containers, but then I have another tupperware container that I hold a mix of pellets in there that I feed my "pet" bettas, and breeders who are not being conditioned.. it's got a mix of NLS Grow & Betta formulas, Omega One Buffet, Atison's, Black Gold, Golden Pearls and most likely a couple more brands I don't remember lol. I recommend, but I don't believe I have ever told anyone they need to have a certain type, or that their fish will die if they don't eat xxxx brand...

Dang, now I want to go do some research.. lol :D
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote