Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #1 
Harleys Mom

Fin Rot

I have a betta (Harley) who suffers from fin rot and I've tried many ways to help him and it still comes back! He lives in a 2 gal tank but its set up like a bowl, I change it every few days. I use tap water with the correct PH and treat it with AmQuel & NovAqua and Aquarum salt. We live in a warm climate so the water doesnt get too cold. There is no sand or gravel in his tank, just a tiny terra cotta pot I change out often and a small fake plant.
I have treeted him with Maracyn & Maracyn-Two and that would work but then in a month or two the fin rot would come back. After about 5 times with that I tried Maracyn-TC..it helped but then it came back again in a few weeks. I then tried Penicillin for fish, it worked but it came back in a few days. I just recently tried Maracyn Plus. For several days Harleys fins looked great and I saw a lot of new growth but the day after his last treetment (and water change) the fin rot was back and worse then ever!
Latley it seams like after I change his water thats when its showing up. The fish shop sugested a 1/2 wather change so thats what I did last time or two and the next day was when it was so bad again.
What can I do to keep Harley from getting fin rot so much? Hes an amazing and VERY active fish who always bounces back but Im running out of options.
Harleys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:45 PM   #2 
JMeenen

Try Bettafix...and remove the plastic plant..see if anything changes
JMeenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:02 PM   #3 
Flashygrrl

Plastic plants can shred their fins very easily, it could be that. Or it could just be water quality. How often are you changing the water? Have you ever tested your tap water?

I would also stick a thermometer in the tank and monitor the water temp. What you think is warm may also translate into not warm enough for them, or worse, it fluctuates too much because it gets cooler at night. Having a good steady 78-80 degrees in the tank is actually very crucial because anything lower can make them more vulnerable to disease.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:24 AM   #4 
Harleys Mom

Re Fin Rot

thanks for your replys.

The plastic plant has been removed several times during treatment and recovery...and the fin rot came back while it was gone.

As for the water temp its only a 2 gal container and I havent found a heater for such a small container and I dont have room for a 10 gal tank. Do you know of any way to heat smaller tanks? Ive used a small lamp by his tank to bring up the temps. But this last time the thermometer next to his tank was reading high 70's to mid 80's and the fin still shread. Ive been wondering if there is any way to warm up the water a tiny bit before I do a partial water change. I think Im going to get an in tank thermometer.

Ive checked the PH on the tap water...its as hight as the tester goes... 7.6 I think, and I let the water stand by his tank over night. Then added my water conditioners before I use it. Im going to try a pratial water change with conditioned spring water this next time.

How often should a 2 gal betta tank without filtration be changed? Last year when I got him I was going about a week and then about 3-4days and then everyother and finaly everyday just to keep him healthy. And those where all full water changes. I use a turkey baster to clean his tank at least twice a day. He doesnt seam too trumatized when I remove him....I use a little paper cup and hes very easy to catch....takes all of two seconds to catch him and go from tank to little bowl. When I do a pratial I just leave him in the tank.

One thing I notice about Harley that I dont see with other Betta fish is hes VERY active! He swims all day long. Thats what drew me to him in the pet shop.

Thanks again for your replys and advice! I really love Harley, hes an amazingly strong fish and I want him to be well and happy. Any other thoughts or sugestions Id really like to hear!!!
Old 06-27-2008, 05:04 PM   #5 
okiemavis

I'd do at least a 50% water change every other day. Also here's some links for stuff:

Mini Heater: https://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/gro...64/product.web

Mini Filter: https://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/gro...96/product.web
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:11 PM   #6 
JMeenen

for a two gallon you gan get a Hydor Heater..it's flat,sumusible and sticks on with a suction cup...you could even put it under the gravel so you can't see it in the tank..there are lots of equiptment for the nano (small) tank ...check out some online fish equiptment places like..Doctor's Foster & Smith...Even PetSmart may have some of these items
JMeenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:06 PM   #7 
Harleys Mom

Re: fin rot

Thanks for the links for small aquarium things!

I did the 50% water change yesterday. I was worried the tap water could be causing it so I used part Spring water and a little tap mixed in. I left it in a warmer place because in the past when I changed it the new felt colder. This am...more fin missing. : ( How do I do even a partial water change with out stressing him??

I had been caring for a sick relative for several weeks, so I was only home to feed him twice a day and change his water. So it was darker at night and no AC on during the day and it got pretty warm. Could he be stressed from that? Do Bettas get lonely?

If I add a heater to his tank how do I warm the new water before I add it so its the same temp?