Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2008, 09:05 PM   #1 
faith_mccravy

getting my tank ready

ok! well i have a fish tank and i do not have fish in it right now because i am trying to make sure that it is good for the fish. and i am going to get a water test kit thingy from the store but u dont have one right now. so far i have a 50 gallon tank, 3 plants, rocks from petco, a filter, tap water (but i put the dechlorinated drop things in it), i have the bubbles, and this thing that makes the water the exact tempature it needs to be. other than the water kit and testing is their anything else that i should need because i need to know so i no when i have everything so i can get the fancy goldfish that i really want!?
faith_mccravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:57 PM   #2 
Meatpuppet

well its sounds your on the right track.
make sure your Liquid test kit test ammonia, nitrate, nitrtrite, and ph.
and read up on cycling so you know how
and gold fish will actually do good in cooler water around. they come from cold water steams in china so the heater should be set at no more than 69 or 70 degrees (they naturally live in 58-72 degrees)

good luck 8)
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:16 AM   #3 
iamntbatman

Keep in mind that goldfish are extremely messy fish and grow quite large. It's good that you're starting with a tank actually big enough to house them! Though you could put a decent amount of young goldfish in a 50 gallon tank, eventually you will only be able to house two or three fancy goldfish in that tank. Also, as they grow, you might want to consider adding extra filtration to the tank. Added filtration will help considering how much waste these fish can produce, not to mention the added surface agitation from extra filters will help keep more oxygen in the water. Goldfish, being temperate fish, really appreciate lots of dissolved oxygen.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:57 PM   #4 
okiemavis

Also, goldfish are coldwater fish, so you'll want to take out the heater. They really shouldn't be kept in sustained temperatures over 72 degrees.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:12 PM   #5 
faith_mccravy

thanks yu guyz!this helpsme alot! i went and got a water kit! i tested the water and it was 7.5 and the directions told me that was the good for goldfish. and i will take out the thermometer when i get off. i had it in their because my room is in the base ment and it gets kind of cold and i did not know if it would get too cold for them.
faith_mccravy is offline   Reply With Quote