Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #1 
bettafishfins

Stories!

Please post any stories about you and your bettas here!
bettafishfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:14 AM   #2 
SwayLocks

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafishfins View Post
Please post any stories about you and your bettas here!
Love to watch my beta flare .

Currently in my 15 gallon low planted aquarium with about 5 otos
SwayLocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #3 
Briz

I was gone for 30 hours and when I got back, only one of my two boys in my 10 gallon divided tank came out to greet me, which was odd as the missing member, Spock, is the one most eager to see me. I peered all around his side but couldn't see him. I made sure he wasn't stuck to the filter intake (he wasn't) so I decided to check back in a bit. He had a cave he could be inside so I hoped maybe he was hiding in there. There was no way he could have gotten to the other side of the tank divider or out of the tank as I have a custom cut plastic cover across the top that leaves no space whatsoever from the top of the dividers and tank walls.

Came back to check again a half hour later. Still no greeting from him, so I take out the cave to see if he's inside. He's not. The only place left he could possibly be is inside the filter, so my boyfriend flashes a light in the top and we both peer in...

We see Spock inside. He's hovering head up a few centimeters below the turbulent water, behind the filter media. This is a medium sized Tetra Whisper filter, with a baffle at the outflow so the water coming up the filter is especially turbulent. I go to unplug the filter, being very sad that my first Betta had drowned to death, when I hear my boyfriend say, "He's alive."

Sure enough, with the filter off he was swimming around like nothing had happened. We took out the filter media and he took a big breath of air. Then we got him out of there and back in his tank. His fins look undamaged and he's right back to gobbling up food.

I don't know how long he was in there or how he wasn't being buffeted all around by the water. I'm also not sure how he got in there. The intake is only small slits, and with the baffle and plastic cover he would have had a tough time jumping his way in. I'm just glad he's alive!
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #4 
bannlow2471

@ Briz ... That would have scared me to death!!!!! I can't imagine how freaked out you must have been! My office Betta, Murray, (male veiltail) about gave me a heart attack when he jumped out of his cup during a water change. I was able to get him back in right away and after a few minutes of just seeming stunned he perked right up and was fine. I, on the other hand, had to go home and open up a bottle of wine. (After making sure he was ok, of course.). I think it was then, though, that I realized how attached I had grown to him.
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #5 
Tabby216

My fish is not bothered by anything I do in the fish tank for example move plants and such. She actually is next to me or the object and sometimes I don't want her to be so close but she is!
Tabby216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #6 
Nibblez

When i did the first water change for Tenshi in the 4 gallon tank, i put him in a cup that i shouldnt have filled up too much. Not having prepped water for the water change, i left him in the cup while the heater in the cube warms up the water. It was taking a while so i decided to make a quick run to the aquarium shop nearby to get some supplies. I ended up talking to the shopkeeper for a while and came back about 45 mins - an hour later.

I walked into my room and checked on Nibblez in his tank and then walked over to the cup Tenshi was in. The cup still had water but Tenshi wasnt inside, so i thought i might have put him in already, i was looking left and right but i couldnt see him. I started panicking and fearing the worst. I looked everywhere, on the carpet , next to the table, under the table, i still couldnt find him. I calmed myself down and scanned the area, thats when i saw him more than 3 ft away from where the table is. I was absolutely freaked out, he was just lying there motionless.

I was so sad, he was so beautiful and i only had him for a week. Absolutely overcome by the feeling of loosing a pet that I have just become so attached to. i just rushed to pick him up, and next thing i knew, he started wriggling in my hands. Overcome by adrenaline, i dashed over to the 4gal tank with him and put him into the tank. He darted straight towards the driftwood and hid underneath and hid there for about 2 hours or so while i monitored him closely the whole time with the lights off. He has a few carpet strand stuck on him which after he started coming out, he just started rubbing all the leaves to clean himself... Dumb boy had me freaked out and giving me a heart attack, i really thought i had lost him.
Nibblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #7 
Myates

This thread is great :) But moved it to the chat section as it is more fitting there. Thanks!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #8 
NozzALa

I have mine in one of those 3 gallon 360 aquariums you can get at Walmart, and I've always worried about the stream of bubbles that comes through that tube, and was considering getting a valve to control their flow (I still might) but just a few minutes ago I removed the tubing from the air pump and stopped the bubbles for a minute. A couple seconds later he swam up to the top of the tube and just stared at it, inspecting. I don't know if he was annoyed at the lack of bubbles or what, but it was pretty funny. I put the tube back in and he just went back to swimming around when the bubbles started up. Just makes me think he likes the bubbles after all.
NozzALa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:06 AM   #9 
NozzALa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibblez View Post
When i did the first water change for Tenshi in the 4 gallon tank, i put him in a cup that i shouldnt have filled up too much. Not having prepped water for the water change, i left him in the cup while the heater in the cube warms up the water. It was taking a while so i decided to make a quick run to the aquarium shop nearby to get some supplies. I ended up talking to the shopkeeper for a while and came back about 45 mins - an hour later.

I walked into my room and checked on Nibblez in his tank and then walked over to the cup Tenshi was in. The cup still had water but Tenshi wasnt inside, so i thought i might have put him in already, i was looking left and right but i couldnt see him. I started panicking and fearing the worst. I looked everywhere, on the carpet , next to the table, under the table, i still couldnt find him. I calmed myself down and scanned the area, thats when i saw him more than 3 ft away from where the table is. I was absolutely freaked out, he was just lying there motionless.

I was so sad, he was so beautiful and i only had him for a week. Absolutely overcome by the feeling of loosing a pet that I have just become so attached to. i just rushed to pick him up, and next thing i knew, he started wriggling in my hands. Overcome by adrenaline, i dashed over to the 4gal tank with him and put him into the tank. He darted straight towards the driftwood and hid underneath and hid there for about 2 hours or so while i monitored him closely the whole time with the lights off. He has a few carpet strand stuck on him which after he started coming out, he just started rubbing all the leaves to clean himself... Dumb boy had me freaked out and giving me a heart attack, i really thought i had lost him.
Wow that is lucky. Good thing he obviously jumped out not too much before you got back home. If he'd done it a few minutes earlier that would have been bad.
NozzALa is offline   Reply With Quote