Aww man I cant see the pic :(
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:18 PM   #23 
HeroicPoison

*gasp* I cant see it either
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #24 
ANHEL123

Theluvatre how big is his tank? I want to give you tips on the water changes and how to acclimate the betta to the new water when you change him.
If he skittish only when he sees you or he just hiding all the time? If he is laying on the bottom,hiding, hanging on the top in the corner then it not normal.
I want to give you the link check it out, it helpful information on heater, food , salt information. Meanwhile i want to give you some tips on water changes , betta acclimation and a little bit more about food if you can tell me the what size is his tank:)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #25 
Theluvatre

Okay! sadly right now my tank is only 1 gallon :( I'm going to upgrade as soon as I can. It's only when he sees me because he'll be swimming all over the place and then all of a sudden he's behind his rock.

sorry idk why I cant get the pic to show :(
Theluvatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #26 
ANHEL123

Is he eating at all? What kind of food you offering him?
Do you have heater in the tank or your room is hot and you don't need a heater?
For one gallon you need to do 2-50% and 1-100% water changes. Or you can do a few 100% water changes a week.
Is he hiding behind the rock for long time during the day? Is he swimming for long time or most of the time he is hiding?
You just bought him not sure if you change his water yet , but make sure you use water conditioner.
When you do 100% water change you need to acclimate him properly.There are many ways to do a water change and acclimate (reintroduce) your fish back into the tank. Here is a few variations that's pretty simple:
1. can have betta in the changing cup with about 15% of the water and keep adding small amount of the new water about every 5 min for about 5-6 times -this way you he will get used to the temperature:)

2. Note the temperature of the water.

Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min. (Study during this time. If he sits longer, it's OK.)
Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
Let his cup float for about 10 min. (Study during this time. If he sits longer, it's OK.)
If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed. (If he sits longer because you're studying, that's OK.)
Gently release him into the tank.

3. To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and have never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.

4. When I change the water I put him in the cup I got him in then I take everything out of the tank, rinse everything with warm tap water. Then I put everything back in the tank, fill it with dechlorinated new water, and then turn the heater on. When the tank water is the same as the cup water , then take the dirty cup water out and a little at a time and put clean tank water in the cup. After that I put the cup in the tank and he swims out.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #27 
Theluvatre

I think he's eating? I dont always have time to make sure he eats in the morning but I know the first time I fed him he did eat at least a little. I know its probably not the best but I'm just using the betta flakes right now. I don't need a heater, but at night i have a light bulb on by him and it keeps his tank a steady temp. I will probably get a heater eventually just so that its for sure stable all the time. Should I already be doing water changes? I've had him for 5 days, but i don't want to stress him out or anything, should i wait until he's a little more settled to start the cleaning routine? I'm pretty sure he swims around most of the time until I come around because every time i come in he is swimming and then all of a sudden hes behind the rock again. Thanks for the water changing tips! thats exactly what i needed!
Theluvatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:49 AM   #28 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Just start the water changes as soon as possible so that he doesn't suffer from ammonia poisoning or anything to that he stays as healthy as possible. He might get some stressed but you need to do it to keep the water clean and healthy. He'll be fine. But leaving the food in while you leave is bad for him since the uneaten food will rot, causing more ammonia that you need in a small space like a 1 gallon.

Also keeping a light on him at night is not good, they do need to sleep and can't do so with a light on them so a heater is essential. He's probably stressed out more from the light than he is from being in a new space.

Also something that will help him being not stressed when you do your water change. Instead of taking a net to him to get him out, try scooping him out with a cup/plastic ware. Preferably something that has not seen soap or any other chemical since they are toxic to fish. You can get a set of 3 small plastic ware containers at walmart for a dollar something, pretty cheap. I use those with changing water, so my fish just sits in those while I change out their tank for new water. Nets can harm their fins so it's not only less stressful but good for them as well.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #29 
ANHEL123

+1
If you will change him and acclimate him to the water temperature slowly he will be fine. Change him as soon as you can. Like lilnaugrim wrote that food that you leave for him to eat , especially flakes half of them sink to the bottom and contaminate the water which can give him infection.
About light i would also not keeping it all night .I think it stress him out.
About food
Flakes cause swim bladder issues more readily than most pellets. You should be using a high quality protein based pellet with the first two or three ingredients as whole fish not fishmeal or wheat. The flakes will also muck up his water quickly
The two most often recommended foods on this forum are New Life Spectrum betta pellets, and Omega One Betta Buffet pellets. The Top Fin and Aqueon foods are decent, but they contain a lot of grains. Some bettas are sensitive to grains and fillers, and do better on New Life Spectrum or Omega One. You also can give him as a snack freeze dried blood worms Hikari brand i like because they enriched with multi-vitamins. And when you get pellets never follow box feeding instructions they are wrong. You need to give him about 2-3 in the morning and 2-3 in the evening. And good idea to fast once a week to clean digestive system ,which i never do lol But i don't overfeed my bettas.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #30 
isochronism

Theluvatre, I feed my Bettas pellets. I drop one at a time in front of them with a tweezer.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote