Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2013, 01:29 AM   #1 
wish4coner

Don't think it took with one--

Not sure on the rosetail. He seems to stay under the bubble wrap but comes back this way. I can't tell if there is a nest or not, so I am waiting until tomorrow. I don't want to move the bubble wrap and destroy the nest, if there is one so, I will wait. He had chased the female away so, I took her out. She is in a hospital tank with some AS. She doesn't appear harmed at all.

As for the mustard, I don't think it took. He worked with her for a while, and then chased her away but there was no bubble nest at all and he refused to stay under the wrap. To me, I am taking that as a no-go.

I just hope I am not doing this wrong. I have them in 2 gallon tubs, with IAL and plants (one moss ball and one leafy plant). It's frustrating but I want to keep trying.

New hmpk on the way...I just hope I can breed the rosetail. I wouldn't have bought him if I knew the problems. The listing on ebay just said, HM and, I didn't see the difference until someone pointed it out.

Thanks for the help and advice. Any more advice on breeding methods that work, are helpful. I do have a 10 gallon ready to go. I liked the idea of a tub inside of it. In Kansas, I have a hard time getting plants. We don't have much in the moss plant area. I've been buying moss balls. They seem to sell a lot of those here.

Thanks again! *hangs head*
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #2 
Artemis

I really wouldn't breed a rosetail. It is often frowned upon as it can cause a variety of deformities. Try with a different male but if you are really wanting to use the rose, have you conditioned him for long enough? He isn't acting like he is ready, and it doesn't sound as if the girls are either IMO
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #3 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

You end up getting fry with a lot of bad scale, you might say oh that's not too bad but it is, they look ugly and no one will want them, they are not breeding or show quality. Don't attempt this, get a higher quality fish
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #4 
wish4coner

Ty for all your help. I am learning that, buying fish at a high price doesn't always mean high quality. He is a gorgeous fish, very social and I guess he will just be a pet. I have another HMPK on bid now...black with a gorgeous tail (reddish and gold spots). I will keep col mustard and him for breeding. Sad. Whitey is such a gorgeous guy.

Also, conditioned for over a month. Live food (flightless fruit flies and mosquito lavae (frozen)) IAL in tanks.

There is a bubble nest but I can't tell if there are fry. I dont' want to disturb. I guess I could just destroy the nest but, for some reason I dont feel right doing that. If nothing else, I will learn a little more about breeding.

Last edited by wish4coner; 04-21-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #5 
wish4coner

Eggs seem to be in nest..rosetail attending

I noticed Whitey going back and forth and a bubble nest extended. I looked in a corner and can see white specks, which I am guessing are eggs. The nest is pretty big and I can't see the other corner so, I am guessing there was a successful breed.

Now, for the waiting game to see how happy or sad I get.

I will take pics, as I can with my phone, to see if I can show the females I have.