Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #11 
JustinieBeanie

The stick on thermometers and hygrometers made for reptile and amphibian terrariums frequently also give those types of problems lol. Glad to see that even though I dont have any fish yet, my prior reptile knowledge still applies in some areas! Do any of you have a recommendation for what type or brand of intank thermometer to use? Or all they all pretty much the same in terms of things like performance, easy to read/work, how long it lasts without breaking/ malfunctioning etc.?
JustinieBeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #12 
bannlow2471

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancalif View Post
These stick-on thermometers are meant to go on glass tanks, not acrylic. Do you have a glass tank or acrylic?

I have a stick on, and floating thermometer. Both read exactly the same temperature.
So THAT explains why the stick-on one I got was not reading correctly. I thought I just got a bad one, but either way I replaced it with the suction cup ones that go on the inside of the tank. (My office Betta's tank is acrylic.)
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #13 
ryancalif

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannlow2471 View Post
So THAT explains why the stick-on one I got was not reading correctly.
Yes, I'm afraid it is. Most manufacturers should denote the glass requirement somewhere in the directions or on the package, but apparently some do not.

I use both a stick-on and floating thermometer in my tank, each working to check the other one. Both have always read the same temperature (my tank is glass).

Last edited by ryancalif; 04-22-2013 at 06:17 PM.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #14 
JadeAngel

all 4 of my tanks are acrylic. 2 have stick on thermometers AND in tank thermometers, the other 2 just have in tank thermometers.

The stick on and in tank differ by 1 in one, and 2 in the other mot days, but once in a great while they will very by 3 or 4

I actually think the one is not inaccurate at all it is on the left side of the tank, while the in tank thermometer is to the right of the center, and the heater is on the right. So being 1 lower makes sense.

The other one I know is completely wrong as IT is just 2'' away from the heater, while the in tank thermometer is on the other side of the tank and still reads 2 more than the stick on... which makes no sense since it's further from the heater. Those are the same company too, so you MIGHT be lucky and get something accurate, or you might get nonsense that can potentially cause harm to the fish via inaccurate readings :/

Good to know about the glass vs acrylic heat conducting tip. The packages don't mention it, but they do say that if you unstick and move it that you may damage it so that it wont work properly anymore.
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote