Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: will these fish get along and not kill each other?
tell me small fish that do get along with bettas 2 100.00%
tell me what fish won't get along with bettas 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2008, 03:25 PM   #1 
myfish,Fish

confusion on a good tank mate?

I got a new betta for my 13th birthday in february. His name is Fish. He lives in a betta kit tank that can hardly hold him. My Dad finally agreed to let me put him in a bigger tank. It is not a ten gallon tank though.
In this tank I would like to put my betta, two or three fat goldfish, four mollies, three of those see-through fish with the bright coloured top, a sucker-fish, and three facy snakeskin guppies. But I don't know if all these fish will get along good and not kill eachother. Please anser me back at myfish,Fish or just post me any other way.... Please help me before I buy the fish at the start of August!
myfish,Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #2 
Meatpuppet

well how big is the tank?
from all the fish you listed you wont even be able to fit them in a ten gallon especially the goldfish. the get huge. poo alot and require colder water when bettas need heated (78 degrees)
the guppies have big flowing fins so the betta will most likely rip them to shreds.
but the other fish, they may not even beable to all cram in there. but it will help if you tell us the size of the tank.
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:57 PM   #3 
myfish,Fish

small tank

I'd say the tank is almost a foot long and half a foot wide. The little fat goldfish are about a centimeter long and a fourth of a centimeter wide. Would they fit if they're small like that? It is a glass tank and Dad said that if it's a glass tank I should have at least one sucker fish. The sucker fish I picked out about an inch long. Would it fit in a tank like that? The tank is speacaily made for bettas so it's fairly small. I should get the tank next Saturday.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:09 PM   #4 
Cody

Sounds like a 2.5G tank to me (12" long, 8" deep, 6" tall).

This is only suitable for one betta. Nothing else.

Also, when you stock, you dont add fish that fit. You stock on adult size, in which goldfish will reach 10-30" long, dependant on species, and poop a ton. They are also coldwater fish, and bettas are tropical. They shouldn't be mixed.

And, glass tanks do not need an algea eater. Oh, do you know what the algea eater is? Or, if you dont, could you describe it?
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #5 
Kim

Ok. The fish that you mentioned will definitely not fit in your tank. Bettas are territorial and can only be kept with other fish when the tank is large enough (at least over 10 gallons). Also, goldfish can get HUGE, and although they may be small when you get them they will soon grow. They will also pollute the water of a tank that size extremely quickly, and they live in much colder climates than betta fish. As for the guppies, your betta will almost definitely pick on them (they are not fast and have long flowing fins). Also, algae eaters grow to be quite large. We had one in a 55 gallon tank that we got when he was about 1 inch, and he grew to over 1 foot! If you keep your tank clean you probably will not have algae problems anyway. The other fish would probably be fine, but only in a larger tank. Please don't feel that I am criticizing you, it was a very smart thing to do to ask before you bought the fish. If everyone did this, many mistakes would not be made at our fish's expense. Good luck.
Kim
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:45 PM   #6 
Cody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim
Also, algae eaters grow to be quite large. We had one in a 55 gallon tank that we got when he was about 1 inch, and he grew to over 1 foot!
This all depends on what you get. There are plecos, otos, CAEs, SAEs, Farowellas...a lot of things classify as "algea-eater." Some stay quite small (Ottos dont get over 2", but they *need* algea and groups). Some plecos stay under 5/6", like Clown and Bristlenose, who are actually very good algea eaters. The common Algea eater would probably be either a Common Pleco or Chinese Algea Eater (CAE, and AKA Golden Algea Eater, etc). CAE's can reach 9" long and get very aggresive, and Common Plecs reach 18"+ long and poop as much as a 30" fish.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:45 AM   #7 
myfish,Fish

types of algea eaters

The algea eater is a bristlenose catfish, I think. The goldfish are fantail goldfish, I think. Does anybody know the price is for a 2.5g tank in canadian dolllars? thanks for the info.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:52 AM   #8 
Meatpuppet

a 2.5 gallon here in canada would probly cost around 30-40 bucks (including all the things needed) i see alot of people with the wal-mart bowfront 2.5 gallon that comes with filter and tank but its not avalable in canada though.
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:15 PM   #9 
myfish,Fish

my tank

The tank I'm getting is only $19.38. But I'm getting a tank at the pet store in the cambridge center mall. They're cheap there.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:03 PM   #10 
southafrica1001

a bristleose catfish might be small however they require at least 20 gallons, what about some shrimp, like cherry shrimp which eats algae, if there is present. your betta might eat the shrimp so it could be worth trying a cheaper shrimp, to see how they get along (other members please correct me if im wrong)
southafrica1001 is offline   Reply With Quote