Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2008, 12:42 AM   #1 
fishyflakes21

betta food?

my doggy keeps eating my betta fish food and i live in the middle of nowhere and cant drive, is there any type of human food i could possibly feed my betta in an emergency just to make sure it doesnt starve?...how long would it take for it to starve?

HELP PLEASEE!!!
fishyflakes21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:49 AM   #2 
Meatpuppet

um your dog eats your fish food?? alright.

the only human food i would feed my fish is defrosted pea cut up into little pieces. BUT you can not feed your fish this reglarly peas should only be given as a source of fiber to eliminate constipation.
bettas need a good nutrious diet that is suitable for that species that can only be recieved through betta pellets/flakes and on occasion frozen bloodworms/brineshrimp.
im sure there are other safe foods that a betta would eat but my best advice is that you would be best off not feeding the dog your little fishies' food.

o ya bettas can go without food 3 or 4 days. somtimes a week but that is rare. i wouldnt risk letting a betta go without food for a week though. so hopfully you can get some food for him by then
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:55 AM   #3 
fishyflakes21

thanks so much :)
but my boyfriend just went out and brought me some...but in case i should ever be in this situation again...thank you soo much
fishyflakes21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:56 PM   #4 
ErinBBC

You could also order the food online and use overnight shipping.
ErinBBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #5 
okiemavis

A bit of a hard boiled egg yolk is also good. But beware: it's messy and can cloud up the tank quite easily.

Earth worms from your garden are another good food (you have to chop them up to fit the betta's mouth), just make sure you don't get them from an area where fertilizers or pesticides are made.

I feed my puffer fish frozen raw shrimp (I float it in a glass of tank water first to defrost it). You'd have to cut it up into *really* tiny pieces for your betta to eat it, but it would certainly do in a pinch.

Mosquitoes, fruit flies or any other small, easily gathered bug can also be fed to your betta.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:43 AM   #6 
JMeenen

You can feed hard boiled Egg white too...tiny pieces
JMeenen is offline   Reply With Quote