Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #1 
BigRedsMom

Another newbie

Hello.

We are brand new Betta owners and I have learned a lot from this site.

Over the weekend, we took our son (23 months) into a big chain pet store the other to look at the fish. He loves fishies and it is a great free outing. Well, of course this time we left with a new family member, a beautiful red Betta male we named Big Red. We are calling him an early birthday gift for the boy.

We asked the nice lady who worked in the fish department a ton of questions and thought we were all set to take care of him properly. Thankfully, my husband had the sense to get a 2 gallon tank.

I found your forum later that night and realized Big Red needed a lot more than we were told. So yesterday we went to a family run pet store and the owner spent 30 minutes telling us about Bettas and helping us find what we really need.

So thanks to partially to you all, Big Red is much happier little guy.

I have enjoyed looking all of your beautiful photos of your fish and their homes.
BigRedsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #2 
crystalicethorn

Hope your son enjoys his new fish and welcome!
But i worn you. People call Bettas "easy to care for pets" because they dont need a filter (but still a heater). They do not need an air pump because they are able to breath from the surface. But since they dont need filters they need regular water changes, (about a full change every week depending on size of the tank).

Also it is best to give him a 5 gallon min if it is not filtered or a 3 gallon min if filtered.

Also, the water needs de-chlorer (sorry if i spelled that wrong) to remove chlorine and harmful heavy metals in the water.

And have fun! (if you give him pellets you can try making him jump for food! Its a good way to keep your fish entertained)

Last edited by crystalicethorn; 04-22-2013 at 09:39 AM.
crystalicethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #3 
BigRedsMom

Thanks. We are having a lot of fun.

The tank is filtered and heated. We would love to get a bigger one, but it isn't in the budget right now. We spent all of the money we put aside for bday gifts and then some :)

The owner of the smaller pet store gave us all kinds of info on getting the water in our particular city just right.

I love the idea of making him jump!
BigRedsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #4 
HeroicPoison

Welcome :)
Bettas are really amazing fish, they are very smart and really love attention.
My bettas stalk me till I go over and talk to each one :)
If you have any questions, concerns or just want to chat feel free to send me a PM.
I love this site, and you really will too! Its great to have so many people that share your passion and we all work together to help anyone out :)
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum, so nice to have you join us. Big Red sounds like a beautiful guy. I bet your son is enjoying watching him swim around his new home, so exciting for all of you in the family to have this new experience with a Betta, they are amazing little guys.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #6 
isochronism

I have two Bettas. Each is (very happy) in a Fluval Spec II (2 gal) planted with live plants. The Spec II has a center hole in the lid which I always keep covered with a cardboard beer glass coaster because Bettas are well known to jump out. Two gallons is fine for him. You found a great site with great members!!!
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote