Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #1 
Tigersoul101

Schooling today...

I just found out recently that schools today are way different than they are today. I knew for a while that they were of course different, itís just a lot different than I thought they were....

Starting off with classes: Right now, I'm ending my 8th grade year in a science magnet school. As I found out just a few months ago, some of the courses that I'm taking now werenít even offered 5 years ago! I'm not sure which ones are new and which ones are not, but some of these are Pre-vet 1&2, Marine bio 1&2, Computer programming, and Archeology. Those were some of the courses I've taken. Some of the courses that I didn't take are Pre-med 1,2 &3, Architecture, Speech and Debate, Bio tech, Space science, Forensic, Robot engineering, Computer science(I have no idea what that is, and Iíve been told that the title is misleadingÖ), golf, and there are plenty more that I know of but donít remember them at the moment.

The learning environment: In my school the teachers go far and beyond to make sure that each child is grasping the subject, whether itís a standard class or an elective. Of course there are a few who donít do this, but for the majority the teachers are pretty awesome. I would even go as far as that they sometimes feel like family friends instead of teachers who just do their jobs. I have many teachers whoíll stand behind my back when something is wrong, and many are willing to understand many hardships and will do anything to help me get out of it! And I think not only the teachers are changing, but it seems to be the technology as well. When I started out in 6th grade our standard state testing was all though paper and booklets, and now the 6th and 7th have to do the reading and math on computers. Iíve also noticed that I too will be using a computer for testing, but it will be my EOCís

The students: Now Iím not sure if we really have changed much. I think most of us have dragged our feet though school, carrying a burden of homework, books, and school supplies. But think that the students today are slower, more dependent, lazier, harsher, and have a big lack of understanding of most things. This can be majorly debatable because Iím going on what Iíve seen and heard from my teachers, school, ect. Most of the students I have to deal with need the teacher every single moment, theyíre quick to judgment, most donít have full comprehension of the subject even after 2 months on a single subject, and easily distracted.

WowÖ I feel like I wrote an outline for an essay in my language art class XD. Sorry if this seems long and boring, it just came to my mind as an interesting topic to discuss about.
Tigersoul101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #2 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigersoul101 View Post
I just found out recently that schools today are way different than they are today. I knew for a while that they were of course different, itís just a lot different than I thought they were....

Starting off with classes: Right now, I'm ending my 8th grade year in a science magnet school. As I found out just a few months ago, some of the courses that I'm taking now werenít even offered 5 years ago! I'm not sure which ones are new and which ones are not, but some of these are Pre-vet 1&2, Marine bio 1&2, Computer programming, and Archeology. Those were some of the courses I've taken. Some of the courses that I didn't take are Pre-med 1,2 &3, Architecture, Speech and Debate, Bio tech, Space science, Forensic, Robot engineering, Computer science(I have no idea what that is, and Iíve been told that the title is misleadingÖ), golf, and there are plenty more that I know of but donít remember them at the moment.

The learning environment: In my school the teachers go far and beyond to make sure that each child is grasping the subject, whether itís a standard class or an elective. Of course there are a few who donít do this, but for the majority the teachers are pretty awesome. I would even go as far as that they sometimes feel like family friends instead of teachers who just do their jobs. I have many teachers whoíll stand behind my back when something is wrong, and many are willing to understand many hardships and will do anything to help me get out of it! And I think not only the teachers are changing, but it seems to be the technology as well. When I started out in 6th grade our standard state testing was all though paper and booklets, and now the 6th and 7th have to do the reading and math on computers. Iíve also noticed that I too will be using a computer for testing, but it will be my EOCís

The students: Now Iím not sure if we really have changed much. I think most of us have dragged our feet though school, carrying a burden of homework, books, and school supplies. But think that the students today are slower, more dependent, lazier, harsher, and have a big lack of understanding of most things. This can be majorly debatable because Iím going on what Iíve seen and heard from my teachers, school, ect. Most of the students I have to deal with need the teacher every single moment, theyíre quick to judgment, most donít have full comprehension of the subject even after 2 months on a single subject, and easily distracted.

WowÖ I feel like I wrote an outline for an essay in my language art class XD. Sorry if this seems long and boring, it just came to my mind as an interesting topic to discuss about.
To sum it up... schools are trying to advance while simultaneously trying to make up for parenting fails, and going a bit TOO above and beyond trying to help the individual student.

This results in parents being even less involved in their kids lives because schools make it seem like they have it all taken care of (and as a parent... you also have to take into consideration that schools get TOO involved in kids lives sometimes and literally try and give you as few parenting rights as they possibly can) and giving more attention to individual students (while not really a bad thing, it has it's bad effects) takes away from the over all progress of a class as the teacher wastes more time on 1 student that he/she could have spent adding to the curriculum. The new system based based on school performance has even pushed some school's to fake their student's grades (great example to set for students, right!? )

But, just worry about yourself and take advantage of those more in depth classes When I was in highschool 10 years ago, our school was considered to be set up like a college as we had a wide array of classes. But even we didn't have half those classes you mention
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #3 
Tigersoul101

I am taking an advantage of the more in depth classes! There so much fun and you learn ton of things in those subjects that almost feel like you're going though collage for the class...

And we also have a different curriculum in my state and it looks really good on paper, but it's not actually working. No matter what the state lawmakers say. It's supposed to help kids of all sorts, but it's complete opposite. It's slow, redundant, and just frankly stupid. One reason why most of the teachers are becoming more parent like in my state.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #4 
JadeAngel

Quote:
I am taking an advantage of the more in depth classes! There so much fun and you learn ton of things in those subjects that almost feel like you're going though collage for the class...

And we also have a different curriculum in my state and it looks really good on paper, but it's not actually working. No matter what the state lawmakers say. It's supposed to help kids of all sorts, but it's complete opposite. It's slow, redundant, and just frankly stupid. One reason why most of the teachers are becoming more parent like in my state.
It's good that you recognize our failing attempts to get ahead. Take advantage away :) You will be thankful later. Our school offered the typical shop and such but then had things like nursing special business classes, parenting classes, lots of different theatrical and career oriented courses, but we didn't get quite as in depth. When I was in school, people would be surprised when I'd mention the courses we had available because most schools didn't offer it.

Sounds like your school is the same but 2 steps up now Though, my cousin in kansas had a marine biology course in highschool. She decided she wanted to go to college for it. Didn't end that way as she's only months younger than me and never had a job, didn't go to college like she planned, and still lives at home but I was impressed that her school offered some courses like that. I think it's wonderful as it gives you guys a better opportunity to explore career options before you graduate
Old 04-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #5 
Tigersoul101

Yeah, Marine Bio in my school was a blast! The teacher who was there was really amazing and did a lot of in school projects about the Marine Ecosyestem, parts of fish/sharks, reptiles, ampibians, marine mammals, and much more. Best thing about it was there was never any homework and my mom was once a guest speaker when we started talking about Molluscs.

What made me sign up for the school was their pre-vet class, but after taking 1 & 2, I didn't really enjoy the class much because the teacher was annoying. She was nothing like the other teachers. And because of her, and the class, I don't really want to become a vetanrain anymore...
Old 04-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #6 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Yeah, Marine Bio in my school was a blast! The teacher who was there was really amazing and did a lot of in school projects about the Marine Ecosyestem, parts of fish/sharks, reptiles, ampibians, marine mammals, and much more. Best thing about it was there was never any homework and my mom was once a guest speaker when we started talking about Molluscs.

What made me sign up for the school was their pre-vet class, but after taking 1 & 2, I didn't really enjoy the class much because the teacher was annoying. She was nothing like the other teachers. And because of her, and the class, I don't really want to become a vetanrain anymore...

That really sucks when a teacher ruins a class for you. I had a teacher once that made trig just boring torture. She spoke with a soft monotone, and it was the first time in my life that I failed a class because it was almost impossible not to fall asleep.

So is it a private school you go to? Or are you in a big city (I'm assuming you're in the usa) because where I'm from you just go to wherever your district is (determined by where your hose is located in their district map). My school was 27 miles away from my house but I was really out in nowheresville, lol
Old 04-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #7 
Tigersoul101

No, a magnet school is a public school where is specializes in a certain field (Ie: Preforming arts, technology, science[that is mine]). The're free to get in and anyone in the county can sign up to go, but not everyone joins.

And I do live in the USA, and in the suburbs.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #8 
JadeAngel

Quote:
No, a magnet school is a public school where is specializes in a certain field (Ie: Preforming arts, technology, science[that is mine]). The're free to get in and anyone in the county can sign up to go, but not everyone joins.

And I do live in the USA, and in the suburbs.
Sounds like the school system from my husband's country Those don't exist in this area. You don't have the option of going to any school but the district you fall in.

I just looked it up and there are only 9 magnet schools in pennsylvania that aren't located in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh (which is why I was under the impression you were from a big city) Choosing your public school when you don't live in a big city is a foreign concept to me (literally)

You had good luck to live in an area where you could do that, and I'm glad to see you care about your academics! keep it up!
Old 04-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #9 
Tigersoul101

Yeah, and as I just found out my magnet school is apparently one of the best in the country but I'm having a little trouble finding it...