Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #1 
SageMyster

Sorority Help!

Hello folks. I am completely new to betta sororities. I filled a 10 gallon with six females on Friday and had to remove two for being incredibly too aggressive, and returned them to the store. Now I have a new-NEW one sitting in a breeder keeper thing to acclimate her to the tank, who I refer to as "white crowntail" in the video.

Yes, there's a video. Please, please watch it. You can see all of the girlies' injuries in the video.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1QJ3...ature=youtu.be

So I don't know if this is normal or what... or how to heal the blue girl. ): Do I take her out entirely? So lost as to what to do! Please help!

Any advice would be appreciated.
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #2 
bniebetta

Did you quarantine all of them for a long time and let them see each other before adding them to the tank?
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #3 
SageMyster

I don't know what a long time would be but yes I did quarantine them and had them floating in see-through cups before I released them all at once, least aggressive to most aggressive. Emilia, however, was already in the tank prior to the new girls' addition, which is why I'm thinking she's taken up the role as alpha... even though I've never seen her bite anyone.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #4 
bniebetta

about two weeks. and holy crap what a mess :/
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #5 
SageMyster

Also I guess it doesn't show in the video but "Blue" has white extending into her fins.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

Their fin damage isn't actually too horrific. I was expecting much worse.

It looks from the video, like you have a lot of open space at the front of your sorority. You should definitely look at putting in a few more plants to provide more cover and obstacles.

You want it to be extremely hard for a female to get from one end of the tank to the other because that way it is more difficult for them to start chasing a weaker fish around.

Have you got actual photos of the damage done to your females to better assess whether they need pulling or not?
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #7 
SageMyster

Good to know it's not -that- bad. Thank you.

Here is "Blue", the girl I am most worried about. You can soooorta see the white/paling area.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Their fin damage isn't actually too horrific. I was expecting much worse.

It looks from the video, like you have a lot of open space at the front of your sorority. You should definitely look at putting in a few more plants to provide more cover and obstacles.

You want it to be extremely hard for a female to get from one end of the tank to the other because that way it is more difficult for them to start chasing a weaker fish around.
Ditto.
You want to add alot more decor to break up their line of sight.

As for the blue one, she may be turning white because of stress. I have a royal blue CT male and his entire body can turn grey, which always freaks me out. He does it every time I change the water.

Stress coat at 2X the doase can help fins heal and so can krodon fish protector.

Also are you sure all of them are females? I had a very young VT female turn into a 3 inch male. I got lucky with him and he was pretty mellow and lived with the girls for over a year ( I recently removed him due to some kind of illness in their tank and didnt want him getting whatever it is) but normally as males get older they get more aggressive.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #9 
SageMyster

They were at least labeled as females. I would guess they are, but only time will tell. Should I allow miss Blue to join the rest of the tank again? I looked at her fins and it doesn't look like fin rot: rather just nipped fins. I will add some more API Stress Coat right now. Thank you for the advice!
Old 04-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #10 
Xeek

I kept all my females quarantined but together in clear view for 1 week +. I've had the most success with keeping them confined for at least 2 weeks before introducing them without barriers.

I've never had to take a female back, if a female is too aggressive you should have been watching and removed her. You don't have to take her back put her back in the box, a box she can stil see the other girls through (transparent breeder box). Keep her in there another week and try again. If it fails again do it again. I've had to do this 3 times with my most aggressive female. She is happy now with the others.

The timeout technique works for those of us that are patient. My females tails have always healed back fully without issue or me needing to do anything to help them. I don't have that same luck with my males who (due to a strong nerite snail) found a way through the divider to kill each other! They're fine, just ripped up a bit, never fully got his nice fins back though. My females get their fins back in a couple of months usually depending on the damage. Might as well leave them be as another small fight could happen and another nip. It's their way hehe.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote