Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2008, 11:08 PM   #1 
mellocello

Betta fish and Snails

Hello! I am new here and i am thinking about getting a small tank set up with a betta fish and some snails that you put in aquariums who eat algae (i don't know what they are called)

So, i will have a lot of questions, but i just want to ask this one first:
Can a Betta fish live with snails???

Thanks
mellocello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:38 AM   #2 
southafrica1001

hey welcome :D
it can really depend on your betta's personality, some will live peacefully, and not really notice that the snail is there, where others can pick at it, and cause it to eventually die (i think). what is the size of the tank?
southafrica1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:02 AM   #3 
Meatpuppet

if you pan to have tank mates you should plan to have a 5gallon. an apple snail will be good or also other small creatures like shrimp is good to. but if you want the betta alone a 2.5 gallon is the minimum of what it needs.
hope this answered your first question.
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #4 
mellocello

okay, thanks!! i don't have a tank yet, i am just getting the information i need before i set it up and get supplies.

So like a five gallon tank, with a betta and 3 snails??? Would that work?? (if the betta that i will get is friendly)
mellocello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #5 
Meatpuppet

i dunno the snails get pretty huge and they poo Alot. i would start with one maybe two.
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:33 PM   #6 
ErinBBC

If you have a decent filter (remember not to use a power filter as it creates too much current for a betta - use an in tank air pump powered filter like Tetra Whisper filters or a sponge filter) and you clean the gravel regularly you shouldn't have a problem with poop build up, but if you just like snails then one should be fine with your betta in a 5 gallon tank. I'd suggest putting the snail in for a few days before you add the betta, that way the betta sees him as part of the scenery and not a newcomer barging in on his territory.

Remember also that you'll need a heater because bettas require temperatres in the 78-80 degree range 24/7. They make plenty of heaters for 5 gallon tanks in all price ranges.
ErinBBC is offline   Reply With Quote