Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2013, 11:23 PM   #1 
Mashiro

Adding cO2 a good idea?

Is adding cO2 a good idea to my 10 gallon planted tank?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...0&pcatid=23680

I was looking at this model CO2 kit, the Mini CO2 20 Kit and I was thinking it might be a good idea since I'm kind of getting quite a few plants in my tank and still thinking of adding more.

It couldn't hurt, could it?
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #2 
bniebetta

I have no PERSONAL experience with CO2, but the guy who runs the pet store in my area told me he doesn't like it because if you stop using it for even a day the plants will all shrivel up and die, so you have to really commit to using it and ensure that it is running at all times. I have no idea if this is true, but I thought I should pass it on just in case :)
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:39 AM   #3 
gorillakev

I switch plants around from co2 planted aquariums to non co2 aquariums all the time and
and all is good just slows down the growing when switched to non co2.

Last edited by gorillakev; 04-22-2013 at 04:44 AM.
gorillakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #4 
Nothingness

CO2 is only necessary in a high light tank, suggested for med light, andfine without in low light. Also that kit your looking at gets expensive by having to continually buy CO2 cartridges. Try the DIY method with yeast in a pop bottle. If you like the results then invest in a proper system. Personally I have a 55g Med light heavy planted setup and I have never used CO2 or ferts and its a jungle in there

Last edited by Nothingness; 04-22-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #5 
MoneyMitch

depends what your lighting is if you should use co2 or not. DIY co2 isn't worth the time - its sporatic output will cause algae blooms. co2 requires high light and high ferts... when one becomes out of balance (commonly co2 in diy setups) algae will take hold literally within a day. stay away from diy co2 I urge you!!

if your going to use co2 just get a 5# tank or a paintball tank with a co2 adapter... always use a regulator with any pressurized system!!
MoneyMitch is offline   Reply With Quote