Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2013, 12:48 AM   #1 
Theluvatre

Household items

Well I tried to look this up online but I wasn't able to find anything reliable and I trust you guys a lot more anyway. What kind of stuff is okay to put in a tank? Like is ceramic things okay? or glass? Do you have to do anything special to that kind of stuff before you put it in a tank? I bought a little clam thing from when I had fish a long time ago, but I remember some of my bettas used to shove themselves in the tiny space and that makes me really nervous. I need to get back to the store and get something safer but for the time being I was just wondering what was okay
Theluvatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:56 AM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

Glass and ceramic should be fine. I use terracotta pots but I fill the holes with aquarium safe silicone because they can get stuck. I've also used coffee mugs but not used ones that had already been washed with soap.

Generally you look for things that are food safe and don't have small holes. IMO, household items can be safer because some tank decorations have paint that chips and contain metal frames on the inside which rust, even on the interior because the decor is porous.

Just avoid things that have been washed with soap.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:00 AM   #3 
Theluvatre

Okay thats good I have a lot of glass figurines that I could probably use, do I have to boil them or disinfect them or anything? also is the ping pong ball thing for real? Do they actually like to play with those lol because that would be cute to watch if it's true
Old 04-22-2013, 01:03 AM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

I would rinse them in really hot water and if you're still unsure, let them sit in some water for a bit that has extra water conditioner in it.

All bettas have different personalities. Some might play with ping pong balls and some might not. Most of my fish love to chase my laser pointer :)
Old 04-22-2013, 01:09 AM   #5 
Theluvatre

okay thanks I just don't want to make any vital mistakes ^^'

ahhhhhhh thats soooo cute hopefully when damon gets a bit more settled in I can try some fun things with him ^-^
Old 04-22-2013, 01:25 AM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

I honestly tend to stay away from anything but silk plants and live plants but most things would probably be okay. Anything with metal or soap residue would probably be the most detrimental, along with some paints or things with small holes but those can easily be filled with aquarium safe silicone.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #7 
Theluvatre

Do they sell silk plants at the pet store? Sorry thats probably a dumb queston
Old 04-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

Most likely. Walmart only has plastic plants but anywhere with a good fish section should have them. I got all mine from Petco.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #9 
Theluvatre

okay I''l go there next time I'm down. Thanks so much for dealing with me haha
Old 04-22-2013, 11:34 PM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

You and all your questions are always welcome here. :)