Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #1 
Hail0788

PetSmart *vent*

I went to Petsmart today to get filters and I looked at the bettas like I always do and 4 females were dead. I was very upset to see that. I brought the cups to a worker and all he said was oh ok and then took them from and walked away. WTF?! Heartless SOB. I'm tired of seeing sick and dead bettas in stores.
Hail0788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #2 
dragonscalecrowntail02

I worked in a Petsmart, and in his defense, when you have kids coming up to you telling you every wrong thing in your store, every dead anything you just haven't seen yet and telling you how sickening it is, it starts to make you angry. I LOVE BETTAS. SO MUCH. When I worked at Petsmart I paid extra special attention to them. But, when you have a billion and one things to do, sometimes it's hard to balance every animal. Sometimes you miss a few. I'm not saying 4 is justifiable, but what I am saying is that sometimes we can't catch it all, and when you bring it to our attention and we don't fall to our knees crying 'WHY LORD' that's probably why.
dragonscalecrowntail02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #3 
dragonscalecrowntail02

P.S they should also put more people on with Pet Care people in their shift because like I said it is hard to pay attention to every thing.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #4 
ryancalif

Petsmart *seems* to put a lot more of their focus on their dog and cat departments. At least that's the case at our local petsmart. The fish section is always unstaffed and many of the fish are dead or sick. It's not much better than Walmart to be quite honest.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #5 
dragonscalecrowntail02

It's true. Not a lot of PetSmart's care about their fish. I did. I really did. and I tried to make my fellow employees care.. and they didn't. They really didn't. But I did. and when I keep hearing about how poorly Petsmart does, but then I hear that everyone buys their fish at either Petsmart or Petco, it doesn't make any sense. :/ I hated that my fellow employees didn't care like I did. It broke my heart. I'm glad I got my babies when I did. I'm on both sides of this argument.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #6 
kimt

I buy my fish at petco because they take the best care of the bettas that I have seen. I've only seen one dead fish there. The cup was so filthy I couldn't tell the color of the betta floating in it. It was odd because the cups are usually clean when I go in there. I have been eyeing the same plakat for a couple of weeks and I never see him in dirty water. The babies don't seem to do well but I think it is because they are more fragile and starved half the time because they can't eat the pellets. I won't buy a fish from a store that doesn't take care of their fish. Pet smart does okay. I went to petland last night and they were the worst I've seen. Even worse than walmart. I bought our first betta from walmart before I knew better. We really lucked out with him because he is totally healthy and sassy. And beautiful. I haven't seen a prettier crown tail anywhere.
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #7 
Hail0788

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonscalecrowntail02 View Post
I worked in a Petsmart, and in his defense, when you have kids coming up to you telling you every wrong thing in your store, every dead anything you just haven't seen yet and telling you how sickening it is, it starts to make you angry. I LOVE BETTAS. SO MUCH. When I worked at Petsmart I paid extra special attention to them. But, when you have a billion and one things to do, sometimes it's hard to balance every animal. Sometimes you miss a few. I'm not saying 4 is justifiable, but what I am saying is that sometimes we can't catch it all, and when you bring it to our attention and we don't fall to our knees crying 'WHY LORD' that's probably why.
Well he was the kid. He was maybe 18. I'm 24. He could have at least said thank you for getting them off the shelf. Plus petstores should have a look over all animals in the store before opening. Just saying.
Hail0788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #8 
HeroicPoison

Pet stores are supposed to check on all their animals once an hour.
But i highly doubt that they do, they change the bettas cup water every three days!!!
Petsmart here is awful, every time i go in there i have something to say.
the next rescues i bring home i am going to take photos and do ammonia testing of their water in those dinky cups and write the higher ups about it. I will continue to do this until the problem is fixed
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #9 
SnowSong

I must be pretty lucky here, because the Petsmart and Pet Supplies Plus stores where I live are well-run and take good care of their fish. (We don't have Petcos here.) There is also a privately-owned small aquarium store here that is absolutely wonderful. I always try to buy from the privately-owned store first before I'll spend my money at the chain stores, although it's a little too far from my home for me to go there often.

The only place in my area that truly takes terrible care of their fish is Walmart. One time I went into the Walmart here and all their bettas were dead or dying. They ALWAYS have sick and dead fish in their tanks. They disgust me.

Last edited by SnowSong; 04-21-2013 at 07:23 PM.
SnowSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #10 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

The PetLand we got Tina from is amazing. The manager of the fish department is continually voted best fish caretaker at a pet store in the city. He even has a personal supply of medicine to treat the fish at the store with.
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote