Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #1 
dragonx47

Pellet vs. Flake Food

I've heard that using pellets will generally lead to a cleaner tank than using flakes, but I've also heard that some bettas may have trouble swallowing pellet food. Which one should I go with?
dragonx47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #2 
Kanasung
Banned

well i use pellets
Kanasung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #3 
LouiMon

I unknowingly bought Omega One flakes and Walter loved them, but they were messy and I ended up vacuuming a ton of them out with water changes.

I went out and bought Omega One pellets and they are waaay simpler to portion and Walter loves them even more.
LouiMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #4 
ryancalif

The only pellets I had trouble with were the Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bits... my fish kept spitting them out.

No issues with the Betta Buffet pellets or flake foods. I don't have cloudy water either as a result of using flakes.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #5 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonx47 View Post
I've heard that using pellets will generally lead to a cleaner tank than using flakes, but I've also heard that some bettas may have trouble swallowing pellet food. Which one should I go with?
NLS is really tiny. I can't imagine a grown betta would have trouble with those.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

If you want pellets - New Life spectrum is the way to go as they are smaller and easier for the bettas to eat.

If you want flakes go with Omega one. They are high quality but they are also alot bigger then other brands which makes it easier to feed them. In other words, its easier to judge how much you are giving them because the flakes are, in general, bigger then other brands and the ingredients are better quality too. The issue with flakes is because they are so small, its easier to over feed which can lead to bloating/constipation.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #7 
bannlow2471

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonx47 View Post
Murray, my veil tail, who lives at my office, has always eaten pellets. He's now eating Omega One and loves them. (He started out on another brand which I learned was not good, so I switched.) My three at-home Bettas (one young male, and two female crowntails) eat New Life Spectrum pellets. I also have tried them on Omega One flakes just because I bought them by mistake, thinking they were pellets, but none of the three will even go near them. I plan to switch back and forth between these two brands of pellets (Omega One and New Life Spectrum), so that when one container of one kind runs out, I'll buy the other one, and just go back and forth.

All four also get either frozen blood worms or frozen brine shrimp a few times a week in the evening.

NOTE: If anyone is interested in a brand new (opened but almost completely full) container of Omega One flakes that has been opened less than three weeks, please PM me and I will be happy to mail them to you. I would hate for them to go to waste.
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote