Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #1 
JefferyAndMilo

Not eating?

A new Halfmoon of mine refuses to eat. I just got him Thursday of last week, so he's gone a while without food. My Crowntail kind of went through this as well, but started eating about 2 days after he was introduced to his tank. I'll put the food on top the water and he'll come look at it, but then just leave it. I've tried flakes, which he'll bite at and sometimes eat, and the only pellet he ate was one he spit out and re-swallowed about 10 times.

I'm worried for the guy, I don't want him to starve. Any ideas how I can get him to eat?
JefferyAndMilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #2 
HeroicPoison

What brand of food are you feeding him?
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #3 
JefferyAndMilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroicPoison View Post
What brand of food are you feeding him?
It's Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets
I also have the same brand in the flakes.
My other fish gobbles the pellets right up.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #4 
HeroicPoison

Does your new guy seem bloated at all?
Old 04-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #5 
JefferyAndMilo

Quote:
Does your new guy seem bloated at all?
Not at all.
I have a picture I took a few days ago, so you can see his stomach.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It will take some time for him to adjust, he looks a bit pale in color although I'm not sure if that's just his color or not. He doesn't look bloated or anything.

Not sure if you've heard the story of my Remmy, but when I first took him home he didn't eat for a month. But he's fine and eating well now, four months later! Just give him some time to adjust, keep trying to give food him food but make sure to take out the uneaten food and he should perk up after a while!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #7 
HeroicPoison

He is gorgeous! I love his colouring! Really amazing little guy you have there :)
He may not be eating due to stress if hes no bloated or he simply doesnt like the food. You can try another great brand (really good for them) New life spectrum pellets. Another thing you can do is try dipping his pellets in garlic juice, they love garlic, so it encourages them to eat. My last suggestion is picking up some frozen bloodworms (please not freeze dried, those have next to no nutrition and can cause bloating) Thaw them before feeding. These are to be used as snacks or treats not for everyday feeding. But at least he will most likely eat them.
I do have a few questions: What is his tank temp at? Does he have tank mates? and does he have lots of places to hide in his tank (bettas love that it lowers stress levels)
Old 04-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

He is beautiful ! Some Bettas are picky eaters but the Omega One is a great food and I would just keep offering it to him . Maybe cut them in half or crush them up and see if he goes for them that way since maybe he is used to eating flakes. I would not worry to much I am sure he is going to eat, maybe he just needs another day or two to adjust to his new home. Keep us updated on how he is doing.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #9 
JefferyAndMilo

Quote:
He is gorgeous! I love his colouring! Really amazing little guy you have there :)
He may not be eating due to stress if hes no bloated or he simply doesnt like the food. You can try another great brand (really good for them) New life spectrum pellets. Another thing you can do is try dipping his pellets in garlic juice, they love garlic, so it encourages them to eat. My last suggestion is picking up some frozen bloodworms (please not freeze dried, those have next to no nutrition and can cause bloating) Thaw them before feeding. These are to be used as snacks or treats not for everyday feeding. But at least he will most likely eat them.
I do have a few questions: What is his tank temp at? Does he have tank mates? and does he have lots of places to hide in his tank (bettas love that it lowers stress levels)
I'll bee sure to look into those suggestions, thanks. ^^
He does have a little structure to hide in, but he seems to prefer living behind his filter... I do have the filter unplugged, as he almost got sucked up into it once. I worry about him getting burned by his heater though, as it's right next to the filter. I am planing to switch out his structures today, so I'll see if he prefers that over his filter.

His tank temp is in between 75 and 78 degrees, no tank mates, and it's really hard to provide lots of hidey holes in a 3 gallon tank.

He does go behind his statue every so often though.
This is a picture of his tank.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #10 
JefferyAndMilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
It will take some time for him to adjust, he looks a bit pale in color although I'm not sure if that's just his color or not. He doesn't look bloated or anything.

Not sure if you've heard the story of my Remmy, but when I first took him home he didn't eat for a month. But he's fine and eating well now, four months later! Just give him some time to adjust, keep trying to give food him food but make sure to take out the uneaten food and he should perk up after a while!
Yep, that is just his coloring. Some days he'll be almost all white with little blue specks, or some days he'll be darker blue all over. It's really strange how he seems to just change color.

Wow a month?! You'd think he'd have gone belly up by then!

Tags
eating, halfmoon, issues