Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #11 
JustinieBeanie

Oh thank you! And judging from earlier posts, very high total dissolved solids are not good? What do they do exactly, and what happens when they are "skyrocketing"?
JustinieBeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #12 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinieBeanie View Post
Oh thank you! And judging from earlier posts, very high total dissolved solids are not good? What do they do exactly, and what happens when they are "skyrocketing"?
I think generally kidney problems~ especially for soft water fish.
I'm not an expert on the matter, lol.
But for details you you read this article Byron wrote ^_^

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...uarium-122027/
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #13 
JustinieBeanie

Great thank you for the link! While I've never owned a fish, over the years I've done some research on keeping them, but I'd never even read that term before in my research, so thanks for clearing that up! We have pretty hard water here it seems like (at least compared to every where I've traveled in recent memory)
Old 04-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #14 
JustinieBeanie

I realize now that you meant "soft water fishes" as in fish that need to be kept in soft water, not fish that are kept in soft water because that's what their owners happened to put them in! Doh! One of the freshwater articles on tropical fish keeping mentions goldfish, live bearers, and Rift Valley Cichlids as being hard water fishes. What are bettas considered, as far as soft or hard water?
Old 04-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #15 
ao
TFK Moderator

bettas spelndens are considered soft water fish ^___^
but since they've been "domestic" for so long (they can't survive in the wild, lol) they are now quite tolerant of hard water.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #16 
JustinieBeanie

Ok that's good to hear, but is there a limit on how hard the water can be? Maybe I should test how hard my water is before trying to put a fish in it. Are those water softeners they sell at the pet store A) actually worthwhile, B) any different from the domestic water softeners available, C) and really safe for fish, as I've heard they change salt levels?
Old 04-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #17 
Kanra Chan

It has a lot to do with your specific betta.
Even in the wild, betta habitats range from extremely hard water to extremely soft water.
The best thing to do is ask the breeder when you purchase the betta what kind of water it has grown in, or do a test on the water it is placed in when you buy it.
My boy grew up in soft water, whereas my brother's jumbo betta grew up in hard water.
Without the minerals in hard water, bettas will become nutrient deficient. This is why conditioning (And softening if need be) can be considered better than placing your betta in filtered water, because filtered water does not contain any nutrients, while conditioned and softened water contains the same nutrients, but they are no longer harmful to the fish.
Kanra Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #18 
Kanra Chan

I could really use some advice as to which live plants to get that are compatible with bettas, corys, and mystery snails
Old 04-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #19 
VJM

All of them! I kind of subscribe to the mix of moss/stem/crypt/roseate plants, and stuff it full. My guys love wiggling around on top of floaters or high growers.

Beware, plants do not like salt (usually). You may need to look into salt tolerance of individual species.

It is also normal for plants to "melt" at first, before putting out new growth. That can lead to ammonia spikes for a while. Extra testing is usually a good idea until everything settles down.

!0 gallons sounds like lots of fun to plant! It's going to be beautiful.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #20 
Kanra Chan

Alright! I just priced this out on PetSmart!
Also made some more decisions on what I need to get. Here it is, wish me luck and PLEASE, I will take any advice! (Prices before tax. Only reg. prices shown, not including current sales, of which there are many). Prices rounded to the nearest tenth. Underlined is what I intend to purchase.

REQUIRED

Tank Substrate: Top Fin Betta Sand OR Top Fin Betta Crushed Pebble
MIN (3) - $15
MAX (5) - $25

Large Decoration: Top Fin Grey Tree Root Ornament
$25

Live Plants:

Java Fern Plant
$7

Water Wisteria Plant
$5

Anubius Plant
$9

Moneywort Plant
$4.30

Plant Bulb: Zoo Med Flora Sun Maximum Plant Growth
MIN (1): $16
MAX (2): $32

Green Cory Catfish (At PJ's Pet Store)
MIN (1): $2
MAX (4): $8

Mystery Snail
MIN (1): $3.50
MAX (3): $10.50
Will purchase (2): $7

OPTIONAL

Albino Cory
MIN (1): $4
MAX (2): $8
(I might mix the Albinos in with the Greens during or after tank set up. If during, I will buy two Albinos and two Greens. My goal is to add two fish at a time if possible, maximum four fish at a time. If addition is after set-up, the plan is four Greens and two Albinos. Since the Albinos are smaller, I'm toying with the idea of doing only (4) Albino catfish and no Greens. I read that Corys can get aggressive if they are much bigger than another fish, and my Mako is just over 2". Greens grow to 4", and Albinos grow to 3". Thoughts? )

Silk / Plastic Plant: Top Fin Plastic Plant Variety Pack
$8
(I will investigate this, I'm actually looking for a silk plant that I know PetSmart sells, but all that's on their site is plastic. If they don't have silk, I'll check other places)

Replacement Tank Lid: Aqueon Incandescent Full Economy Aquarium Hood
$30
(If I can't fix the faulty wiring in mine, I will have to buy a new one)

Min Budget: $100
Max Total: $161.30

***All values in CND

Last edited by Kanra Chan; 04-29-2013 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Forgot component in list: Albino Cory

Tags
cat fish, community tank, decorating, habitat, planted aquarium